cyathea cooperi drying up

dorothy

cyathea cooperi drying up

Post by dorothy »

Hi have 3 very small cyathea cooperi which were in the conservatory.However I noticed that the leaves were turning brown and a bit crispy even though the soil is moist, not wet. I sprayed the leaves but that was not helping so am now wondering if they would be better in the bathroom where it is a bit more humid?
Steph

Re: cyathea cooperi drying up

Post by Steph »

Do you have any heating in you conservatory?
If its on turn it down to frost protection.
My plants are crammed in with no heating and they are growing OK!
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

They would be better off outside in a cold frame or make shift one. They will dry out very quickly indoors. If you do move outside just bring them into a cool part of your house/garage overnight. It's only sub zero that will kill young ones.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Seems to have been a problem with a lot of C cooperi this year :?
dorothy

Post by dorothy »

Thanks for your replies. I have a shelter protecting my agave so will try them there. It is right up against the wall of the house so easy to bring in at night.I know it's not due to lack of water because it is uncurling a new leaf. It's just the original ones..there are only three are browning off :(
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

just spray them more and turn the heating down a bit, small ones must be more fussy since my medullaris and Dicksonia antarctica are doing great in my heated conservatory which is kept always over 10*c and rises up to 20*c.
countrylover

Post by countrylover »

Oh, good topic cos I wanted to ask similar question.
Has anyone any idea how to keep the trunk of a tree fern moist (without spraying) for a longer time, I mean 10-12 hours? I was thinking of applying hydrogel and wrapping the trunk but..... icon_aaargh
I guess in England you don't have such problem since you get plenty of rain
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Rain never gets to the right places :lol:
I have herd that with Cyathea trunks you can wrap almost like a drip wire made of sponge I think around the trunk and connect it to a tap.
If you cover the whole trunk then you may as well have got any fern as the trunk of Cyatheas is what you are paying for.
:)
countrylover

Post by countrylover »

Rob I was referring to my poor dicksonia.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

You could get a 2l bottle, stick a small hole in the lid fill with water and place in the crown to drip. :)