Cutting back old fronds.

karl66

Cutting back old fronds.

Post by karl66 »

On my dicksonia's i have always cut frond base's back to approx an inch & half above trunk ? , i've noticed on other blog's/pic's that others leave them alot longer? . karl.
Tom2006

Re: Cutting back old fronds.

Post by Tom2006 »

I use to leave them longer but cut right back now.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

karl66 wrote:On my dicksonia's i have always cut frond base's back to approx an inch & half above trunk ? , i've noticed on other blog's/pic's that others leave them alot longer? . karl.
I generally don't cut them off, unless fried. 5 or my 6 stay green most years, particularly as I throw duvets over in really hard frosts, but having said that they took -7.1C in mid December, as the frost was not forecast to be harsh :roll: but they have still remained green icon_thumright The 6th one always fries icon_scratch even in -3C.

The one that fries. I cut the old fronds back leaving around 6 inches. This is to protect the young croziers from strong winds which have snapped them in the past, but once the new flush has grown, I pull the cut frond bases outward and cut them as close to the fur as possible :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by dino »

I never cut mine until new ones are well established. Nature always sorts itself out.