Purple/red spot on dicksonia frond?.

karl66

Purple/red spot on dicksonia frond?.

Post by karl66 »

I have noticed in the last wk or so that both the above i purchased from seagrave's have a tiny amount of goo on just one frond, it easily picks off & is no bigger than say a pommegranite seed!!, it does however re-appear the next day. I've spoken to them this afternoon & the chap there said this is normal :shock: , & to email him a pick incase the fronds fail to open, he also said they'd had no other such problems with this batch. karl.
Tom2006

Re: Purple/red spot on dicksonia frond?.

Post by Tom2006 »

I cant see a picture if you meant to attach one? Sounds like natural sap which will ooze from a damaged frond. Harmless and normal. Just keep an eye on the frond as it might die or emerge stunted or deformed. If so just cut right back and another will soon appear.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
JBALLY

Post by JBALLY »

There was a big discussion about this Karl a couple of weeks and back and as Tom says it was came to the conclusion that it was caused buy the damaged and cut fronds oozing sap and was not the dreaded orange goo that comes when they have received terminal cold damage so it is nothing to worry about.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Thanks chap's, i do remenber a disscussion on it but couldn't find it :) . karl.