Digging up Dickinson antarctica

Steady

Digging up Dickinson antarctica

Post by Steady »

Hi everyone, any idea how much of the root ball would needed to try and get decent growth after transplant? Purchased one of eBay that looks quite established as has long croziers and the trunk looks around 3 foot.
fern Rob

Re: Digging up Dickinson antarctica

Post by fern Rob »

Get as much as you possibly can. Remember tree fern roots are fragile and dry out quickly so its possibly best to put the roots in to a plastic bag to stop them drying out. Plant the Tree ferns as soon as possible and water. More root you save the less stress you put on the plant.
At a minimum you need to take a large bucket full.
Hope this helps.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

This might help, as I was thinking of moving mine this year

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... =1&t=19424
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Just get as much as you can but don't worry as they will soon lay down more. icon_thumleft
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Saw something on Telly very recently (it was probably Gardeners World, in which case it will be on iPlayer) about the refurb of the temperate house at Kew that they were having to move all the plants out. They had put an airpot around the tree ferns (quite a long way up, I reckon it was a good couple of feet) and they had filled that with compost so that the trunk would root (i.e. above normal ground level) and presumably they were either going to cut it off at ground level, after rooting, or take advantage of the extra roots when transplanting.

They were going to lose a lot of height though ... but probably precious / irreplaceable species in their case.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Yes it was Lee on GW. It highlights how deep we should really plant them. It will take a while for roots to push out though using the Kee technique.
Steady

Post by Steady »

Thanks all for the advice, just watched the episode of GW and thought was interesting about the ways of rooting various plants particularly the tree ferns, might be worth trying in the future if have the time to wait! Going to pickup in the next few days so will have to prepare my planting area so the fern can go straight in without drying out, fingers crossed for a decent growing season!!
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Steady wrote:Thanks all for the advice, just watched the episode of GW and thought was interesting about the ways of rooting various plants particularly the tree ferns, might be worth trying in the future if have the time to wait! Going to pickup in the next few days so will have to prepare my planting area so the fern can go straight in without drying out, fingers crossed for a decent growing season!!
Well you are getting them at the right time. Temperatures are looking very good come next weekend.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn15017.png
Steady

Post by Steady »

Tom2006 wrote:
Steady wrote:Thanks all for the advice, just watched the episode of GW and thought was interesting about the ways of rooting various plants particularly the tree ferns, might be worth trying in the future if have the time to wait! Going to pickup in the next few days so will have to prepare my planting area so the fern can go straight in without drying out, fingers crossed for a decent growing season!!
Well you are getting them at the right time. Temperatures are looking very good come next weekend.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn15017.png
Certainly been a long time coming but am extremely gratefull for a bit of sunshine, bring it on!!
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Looking forward to some good weather.