new tree fern

miketropic

new tree fern

Post by miketropic »

I was a bit far from the house yesterday so I stopped in a garden center and to my suprise they had 5 nice tree ferns. First time I had seen them for sale so I had to get one..C. Cooperi. seem to be healthy unlike my last one and will go outside in a few days. It cost me £13 so IDK if that is a good price or not seemed alright to me for the size.

Trunk ( or lack of )

new crozier

whole fern

fern Rob

Re: new tree fern

Post by fern Rob »

A really good buy, when you said about it being loose in the pot, if you was to add a little bit of compost and a set of bamboo canes and string to secure the plant this should allow it to get some more roots down. Just need to stop it moving with the wind and then the roots may re-grow and secure it.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

A nice find and price!....they grow quickly so it won't take long before it starts to trunk. Never let it dry out though.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
kata

Post by kata »

Hmmm..great bargain Mike!

icon_cheers
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

thanks everyone I wasnt sure the budget would allow a tree fern this year since I have to ship it cross country ( for a nice Dicksonia antarctica ) but since I found this one it will work out wonderful in my shade bed. very happy with it. Just picked up a nice var. brug so its been a nice weekend.