Tree Fern ID

fgtbell

Re: Tree Fern ID

Post by fgtbell »

pdid wrote:I'd hazard a guess at dicksonia fibrosa, but it would be a guess. Someone else will be along to confirm or shoot me down soon!
The acid test is to give a frond a gentle squeeze. D. fibrosa has a distinctly "crunchy" feel. D. antarctica is soft.
fgtbell

Post by fgtbell »

multim wrote: I would say minus 8c is about it's limit. In Cornwall, sure these will do better, but not inland when Winters such as 2009 remained sub-zero day and night.
I agree, around minus 8, coupled with daytime temps of minus 4, killed mine dead. Shame as it was a 10-footer. In such conditions it probably doesn't matter whether you fleece them or not, that level of cold will eventually freeze any moisture in the centre of the trunk solid.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I agree, hit even the hardiest tree fern with a combination of day and night sub zero, without artificial heat they will eventually freeze through and die.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

My Dicksonia antarctica survived -19 and below in winter 2010,but was well covered in fleece, but tempratures didn't rise above freezing for days.