Tree Fern ID

Taz334

Tree Fern ID

Post by Taz334 »

Hi, wonder if anyone can help. My parents have this tree fern but we are not sure what type it is. It seems different to the Dicksonia antarctica's we have. Have a couple of pics hopefully they are clear enough. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
pdid

Re: Tree Fern ID

Post by pdid »

I'd hazard a guess at dicksonia fibrosa, but it would be a guess. Someone else will be along to confirm or shoot me down soon!
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

I think fibrosa has the edge, too.
Taz334

Post by Taz334 »

Thanks for the quick replies. They would really like another one but had no idea what it was so they will be pleased. Had a quick search on the Internet to find out a bit more about them too now I had an idea what it was.
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

Fibrosa is basically the crappe version of antarctica
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Judging from the trunk it is D Fibrosa.
It is a rare plant to find now in the UK has they are hard to export from NewZealand.
In my opinion they are a aesthetically pleasing tree fern and much slimmer trunk, the fronds are normally a much deeper green and shorter than Dicksonia antarctica plus have the sponge like look on the trunk.
I think it will be hard to find an other DFibrosa but worth buying if you can.
Taz334

Post by Taz334 »

Thanks so it may be a bit of a hunt to get another one!! I've always liked it and it seems to grow away quite happily with little looking after.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Taz334 wrote:Thanks so it may be a bit of a hunt to get another one!! I've always liked it and it seems to grow away quite happily with little looking after.
The D Fibrosa is a great plant. I can think of a few nerseries that may be able to source one.
Half Hardy

Post by Half Hardy »

pdid wrote:I'd hazard a guess at dicksonia fibrosa, but it would be a guess. Someone else will be along to confirm or shoot me down soon!
I agree with you.It is D.fibrosa

Greendragon,I disagree with you icon_thumbdown

Here is my one, pic. taken today.It has never needed more than just a ball of fleece in the crown,to protect on the worst days of winter,inc 2010.The fronds you see are still last years,even after this long winter(with no protection),the second picture shows a crown full of knuckles about to flush.A common :) D.Antarctica's fronds would be too large to fit in my courtyard.
Attachments
023.JPG
022.JPG
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Certainly looks like a nice Fibrosa. Always fancied trying one, but a rooted one at that size is hard to come by.

Half Hardy, what happened to the trunk of yours?
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
multim

Post by multim »

Yup, I would say Fibrosa. I had a good one with 4ft of trunk, but the Winter of 2009/10 turned it to mush even with wrapping. I would say minus 8c is about it's limit. In Cornwall, sure these will do better, but not inland when Winters such as 2009 remained sub-zero day and night.
Half Hardy

Post by Half Hardy »

Tom2006 wrote:Certainly looks like a nice Fibrosa. Always fancied trying one, but a rooted one at that size is hard to come by.

Half Hardy, what happened to the trunk of yours?
This is the earliest pic. I could find,taken just after it was planted out, in may 2008.Up until then it was kept in a pot.
So must be the differnt growing condition.It was also about the time I started watering with dilute seaweed.

Edit......Looking at the picture now,the thinner part of the trunk was already showing before I planted it.The nursery I bought it from kept it in a greenhouse.I would guess it would have grown,faster but less stocky at this time.
Attachments
d.fibrosa 2008(resized).jpg
d.fibrosa 2008(resized).jpg (125.5 KiB) Viewed 3084 times
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

How much trunk as the D Fibrosa grown ?
Half Hardy

Post by Half Hardy »

fern Rob wrote:How much trunk as the D Fibrosa grown ?
Just measured it.Difficult to say exactly,roughly 50cm(19.5 inches).It looks like it will add a decent amount more,this year.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

D Fibrosa are a really good fern, I wish I could get a descent sized one.