Tree fern feed.

GaryW

Re: Tree fern feed.

Post by GaryW »

I've posted this before, but these are excellent products, better than Maxicrop and the like :

http://rootgrow.co.uk/seaweed-products.html
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Would the fungi be ok on a Cyaathea Tree ferns roots.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I'm going to try phostrogen on the Tree ferns as I have used it in the past.
GaryW

Post by GaryW »

fern Rob wrote:Would the fungi be ok on a Cyaathea Tree ferns roots.
It doesn't actually contain fungi like Rootgrow, it's a seaweed extract and it encourages all the good guys in the soil as well as supplying hormones, trace elements and a small amount of NPK to the plant by foliar or root feeding.It's made under licence from the RHS and can be used on all plants. I use the All Purpose one which is just seaweed extract with no added fertiliser. icon_salut
GaryW

Post by GaryW »

fern Rob wrote:I'm going to try phostrogen on the Tree ferns as I have used it in the past.
If you live in a soft water area Phostrogen is great for ferns, here the water is so hard I use Miracle Gro ericaceous feed. Standard Miracle Gro is not recommended, it contains no magnesium and stains everything blue icon_scratch I mix the feed with Empathy seaweed extract and water the fronds, trunk and soil with excellent results.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I have purchased some tree fern feed, I will see how that works on the Cyatheas.
TroyDonovan

Post by TroyDonovan »

Hi Rob
i only ever use organic for my tree ferns ( 2 dicksonia species and 5 Cyathea ) i use seaweed pellets and blood and bone sparingly and mulch with peastraw . I burnt Cyathea cooperi and cyathea medullris bad by using chemical fertilizer 2 yrs ago :oops:

Troy
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Thanks for that information, I'm going to order some seaweed extract for the C Medullaris. I'm currently using a tree fern feed.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Sorry I had forgotten to ask, do you water and feed the tree ferns in the crown or at the roots?
wintomato

Post by wintomato »

Hi
Mind if I piggy back this thread? I have just got a lovely dicksonia Antarctica and since this is nearing the end of feeding season, I have some maxicrop cactus feed, that seems to be mostly seaweed, plus other nutrients. Likely to be ok for my tree fern? Mine will stay in its pot til at least next spring.
I've read all kinds of advice on feeding, including one site suggesting putting a tablespoon of sugar in the crown then watering!
Thanks.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I'm not sure about the cactus food. When trying to get a tree fern astablished I use this feed in the link below. It is great at getting tree ferns to produce a healthy set of croziers in my opinion.
http://www.athelasplants.co.uk/sundries ... n-feed-p11
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

wintomato wrote:Hi
Mind if I piggy back this thread? I have just got a lovely dicksonia Antarctica and since this is nearing the end of feeding season, I have some maxicrop cactus feed, that seems to be mostly seaweed, plus other nutrients. Likely to be ok for my tree fern? Mine will stay in its pot til at least next spring.
I've read all kinds of advice on feeding, including one site suggesting putting a tablespoon of sugar in the crown then watering!
Thanks.
Welcome to the tree fern addiction! My advice is not to add any fertiliser now as its so late in the season. Next year come the end of April when they are starting to move use a few handfuls of chicken pellets around the base of the fern. Beginning of May onwards until around now maybe mid september depending on the weather use 50% diluted seaweed feed in the crown and around the base. Dicksonia antarctica's need loads of water (although not in winter) and protection from -5C and below in winter. Don't add anything to the crown and they don't need lots of fertiliser, less is more when it comes to ferts with tree ferns. icon_thumleft
Last edited by Tom2006 on Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Is the tree fern rooted?
wintomato

Post by wintomato »

Dicksonia antarctica's need loads of water (although not in winter) and protection from -5C and below in winter. Don't add anything to the crown and they don't need lots of fertiliser, less is more when it comes to ferts with tree ferns.

Thanks. Yes, could be the beginning of an addiction. What you are saying in this last part is just in reference to winter feeding for dicksonias?
Mine is rooted in a pot. 3 foot trunk, and lovely lush leaves/spines. Got a nice sheltered corner round the side of the house, gets 1 hour of sun a day. No wind. Was surprised how dry the soil and trunk were when I bought it but worked better for getting it in the car!
wintomato

Post by wintomato »

Actually. I think I get it apologies. Just need to find chicken pellets before spring.