Cyathea Cunninghamii

fern Rob

Cyathea Cunninghamii

Post by fern Rob »

I was wondering if anyone knows how best to look after C Cunninghamii ? I have grown C Cunninghamii before but have always lost them in winter even when kept frost free and well watered.
Tom2006

Re: Cyathea Cunninghamii

Post by Tom2006 »

I haven't and have read and heard that they are very difficult. I would personally save your money for a large Cooperi or another Medullaris. icon_thumleft
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I have just ordered a small trunked C Cunninghamii and it was quite cheap, so I thought I would give it another go as C Cunninghamii is rare in cultivation.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Maybe try in a conservatory or similar?
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

They seem to be ok in the summer its just winter, I think moving C Cunninghamii shocks them.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

fern Rob wrote:They seem to be ok in the summer its just winter, I think moving C Cunninghamii shocks them.
Thats what I mean, if you could get it into a conservatory or similar during the winter it might make it ok?
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I had put my last C Cunninghamii in to the conservatory with C Medullaris but it still died.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

:shock: :? No idea then. Good luck
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I think the slightest change in temperature seems to stop them growing.
countrylover

Post by countrylover »

Maybe it is all about its moisture requirements icon_scratch http://www.angelfire.com/bc/eucalyptus/ ... hamii.html
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

My last C Cunninghamii was watered through winter but it still died.
countrylover

Post by countrylover »

I know that some plants are very fussy and die or suffer for a long time if the angle of sun light has been changed I mean if you turn the south facing part of the plant to north this may happen...maybe you should pay attention to that and mark now the southern facing part of your cyathea. Also after any movement or repotting of my plants I give them a biostimulant help them figth the stress off
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

C Cunninghamii have been ok throughout the rest of the year and have been moved around the garden but in winter they just die.
countrylover

Post by countrylover »

Then the problem is light. Get the best lamp available and cry over your electricity bill :(
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I really don't think its light, I think it is the temprature change when they are brought inside for the winter.