Tree fern.

Jay71

Tree fern.

Post by Jay71 »

Hi all.

Quick question on tree ferns. When would be the best time to buy one and plant it out in the garden ? With it being the back end of summer I wasn't sure if this time of the year would be the best to buy and put into the garden.

Jay.
fern Rob

Re: Tree fern.

Post by fern Rob »

Its always good to plant in spring, but if you buy a Dicksonia antarctica now it will be ok aslong as its well protected through winter with fleece.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Jay71 wrote:Quick question on tree ferns. When would be the best time to buy one and plant it out in the garden ? With it being the back end of summer I wasn't sure if this time of the year would be the best to buy and put into the garden.
Might be worth, now, waiting for the sales in Winter and then it will arrive early Spring. I forget how much discount has been available in previous years, but you might get two for the price of one, or one twice as big :)
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

If it arrives now pot it up or just leave as a stump. You can then just bring it into a garage shed etc when it gets very cold snd plant out in spring. IF we were to have a very cold spell of weather fleeve alone would not protect it.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Jay71

Post by Jay71 »

Thank you for the advice. Would it be ok to keep it in a pot but in the greenhouse ? If so il do that. If not looks like the dinning room lol.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Jay71 wrote:Thank you for the advice. Would it be ok to keep it in a pot but in the greenhouse ? If so il do that. If not looks like the dinning room lol.
Green house as long as it doesn't drop to cold for long periods of time, but well watered in the house would be better.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Tom2006 wrote:If it arrives now pot it up or just leave as a stump. You can then just bring it into a garage shed etc when it gets very cold snd plant out in spring. IF we were to have a very cold spell of weather fleeve alone would not protect it.
I know its a lot but I used 20m fleece on my Dicksonia antarctica in winter 2010 and it survived.
Jay71

Post by Jay71 »

Looks like the dinning room then lol the mrs will be happy lol.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

What are you buying a Dicksonia antarctica or something different?
Jay71

Post by Jay71 »

fern Rob wrote:What are you buying a Dicksonia antarctica or something different?
Yes a Dicksonia antarctica Rob. Around the 3ft - 4ft mark. Seagraves nursuries look the cheapest
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Hi Jay, most of my tree fern's come from seagraves!, I always go in person & hand pick them :) . karl.
kata

Post by kata »

Welcome Jay,

I got my first from seagroves this year, fourteen fern leaves, not bad eh for their smallest. its been planted all summer.
august312013.jpg
:lol:
Jay71

Post by Jay71 »

kata wrote:Welcome Jay,

I got my first from seagroves this year, fourteen fern leaves, not bad eh for their smallest. its been planted all summer.
august312013.jpg
:lol:
That dose look nice :D . I think one in mine will look a treat .
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

No need to keep inside. A greenhouse is great and if we get very copd temperatures just wrap really well in fleece. More harm iw likely inside from drying out than dying from cold.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I didn't think about them drying out, if in the house you would have to be on top of watering it.