dickinsonia antarctica Treefern

Sax19651

dickinsonia antarctica Treefern

Post by Sax19651 »

need more help my fern is still quite small ,but still new fronds are coming up ,,,some are between 3/4 foot long .i know i have 2 put straw in middle but what about the fonds do i cut them off now or next spring and shall i put in garage over winter months.cheers sax in abingdon oxfordshire
dino

Re: dickinsonia antarctica Treefern

Post by dino »

Hi Sax. First of all how big is it? Can you upload a picture? Secondly is it in the ground or a pot? If a pot just bring inside.
If planted leave the fronds on and when it does get cold just put straw or fleece in crown. This normally is enough but if we get a really bad one add extra cover, some of us even use old quilts. The fronds give some protection and will blacken over winter. Just cut them off in Spring and wait for new ones to unfurl. icon_thumright
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I would do as Dino says. No need to protect the crown unless it goes subzero. Only start to move it if the temperatures stay at or below freezing day and night. If temps go below -5c your likely to loose the fronds but dont cut them off until they brown.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I would always protect the crown, you can not get a dead crown back. Use fleece around the trunk and crown. I would personally remove the fronds in winter. :D
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Never remove the fronds whilst theu are green as they will keep photosynthesising during a milder winter giving your tree fern more energy which will in turn help it through the winter and also for the next growing season. Rob is right in always protevting thr crown but only when it goes sub zero. Keeping the fronds also allows you to thread the fleece through the fronds holding it tightly in place.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I normally put a BIG fleece ball in the crown, wrap the trunk then bend down the fronds in the winter once they are brown so that it looks a bit like a skirt a round the trunk to add the extra protection. I then remove the fronds in the spring time.
Sax19651

Post by Sax19651 »

dino this is it in a pot cheers sax
Attachments
146.jpg
146.jpg (28.21 KiB) Viewed 3386 times
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

That will need extra care as its so small. But as its small just brimg it into a frost free cool spot when subzero hits.
Sax19651

Post by Sax19651 »

cheers dude will a garage b ok .plus wen 2 water it and still cover in straw and fleece
dino

Post by dino »

Easy peasy to look after that. Garage should be fine and won't need any protection so long as doesn't go below freezing.
Don't let it dry out. icon_thumright
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Don't bother covering unless where ever you store it goes sub zero as well. Keep it damp so in a normal winter you shouldn't need to water much at all.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Most exsternal garages may drop to sun zero tempratures.
Sax19651

Post by Sax19651 »

cheers one and all for help happy days icon_salut