Dead Tree ferns....dig out and plant new?

benbaron

Dead Tree ferns....dig out and plant new?

Post by benbaron »

Hi all,

Ive 3 Dicksonia antarctica that got wiped out a couple of years ago, 2 x 2' and 1 x 5'. Im pretty sure they are dead from cold damage (1 of them was a bloody bee) so Im wondering if its possible to dig out the crown and plant a baby tree fern inside? Will it establish itself in a hole in an older tree fern?

cheers
Ben
kata

Re: Dead Tree ferns....dig out and plant new?

Post by kata »

Hi there Ben welcome to the forum,

I never put back in the same hole even anything that died naturally let alone from disease. Open a new planting hole, plants are too expensive to risk death.

Now about the bee, what happened there?

Ah, I see what you mean, never heard of that kind of planting but good luck Ben. Not sure I would try that even so.

Keep what you think might be dead as plants in spring or even longer can be triggered into new growth.

icon_sunny
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Sorry to hear. I've still got a few large logs and plan to use them to grow climbers up as features.

Planting ferns and other plants into the trunk has been tried, I did myself, but they dry out too quickly.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

I have a dead stump, which actually had a wasp [or bee's] nest in it, they all flew backwards and forwards from various parts of the trunk for an entire summer.
I scooped the top out out, and planted a native Dryopteris in it, which are reasonably tolerant of drought, and have a similar frond-shape, it's been fine for about 2 years.

I'd give it one more chance though, until next summer just in case it's still alive though 1st.if I were you, they do sometimes recover.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I would attempt to plant a new Dicksonia antarctica in the crown and let it root down the trunk, just keep it well watered. They naturally bond together in the wild as if they are close together they root in to each other.
The 3rd size down on the Dicksonia antarctica section of this website may be a good size to plant in the old Dicksonia antarctica trunks.
dino

Post by dino »

Looks a good place. Also try Seagrave icon_thumright I have adead one but I used it as an anchor for a new one which I planted in front. I protect more since then as well.
benbaron

Post by benbaron »

Hi guys,

thanks for the replies..

Rob - thats ideally what I was thinking - although I can get a bigger ones for the same price. I think I will give it a go anyway - save me hulking them to the skip ;)

Cheers
Ben
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Tell us how it goes.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

I don't think its worth trying to "graft" a new one of for the two footers ... but I would for the five footer.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I thought the old trunks where just going to act as pots, so to speak.
benbaron

Post by benbaron »

Kristen wrote:I don't think its worth trying to "graft" a new one of for the two footers ... but I would for the five footer.
Why not? if its a case of sticking a small one in the top for £10 then if it is possible it will take up roots through the old then I dont see a reason why not to try, its not like Im attempting something that is going to cost hundreds...

Rob - will do - think it will be next year now though - give it the best chance.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

A small one will take better than a trunked one I should think.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

benbaron wrote:Why not? if its a case of sticking a small one in the top for £10 then if it is possible it will take up roots through the old then I dont see a reason why not to try, its not like Im attempting something that is going to cost hundreds...
My thinking was that the price of a new two-footer wasn't that different to a one-footer than you would graft on to it, and 100% chance of success with a new plant :)

But if price is significant (that's obviously going to be a different amount for different folk :) ) then worth doing even for the small ones.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I think you need to get as many of the plants roots in to the crown of the old Dicksonia antarctica to get the best success rate.