Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Overwintering Dicksonia antarctica

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

cordyman

Re: Overwintering Dicksonia antarctica

Post by cordyman »

that thumbnail shot :lol: :lol: :lol:

Going to give this a watch now, YK in cocoon method shocker, or not? time to find out icon_salut
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Did I give you the cable tie idea? I remember your earlier methods had string with canes and chicken wire icon_scratch Cable ties = pure win!

Will the straw be ok on a torrential downpour day, followed by a frost, it takes a while to dry out when sodden?

A L size haxnix fleece bag would go over that whole Dicksonia antarctica including the popping up fronds, then a bin bag for water proofing if needed.

Like the idea of not using canes on smaller wrappings, makes it that little bit quicker to get the cage up.
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

cordyman wrote:Did I give you the cable tie idea? I remember your earlier methods had string with canes and chicken wire icon_scratch Cable ties = pure win!

Will the straw be ok on a torrential downpour day, followed by a frost, it takes a while to dry out when sodden?

A L size haxnix fleece bag would go over that whole Dicksonia antarctica including the popping up fronds, then a bin bag for water proofing if needed.

Like the idea of not using canes on smaller wrappings, makes it that little bit quicker to get the cage up.
Yes cable ties are the future, I am converted!

If/when the fronds get frosted off I will cover the plant with a fleece bag.

Heres to a mild winter!
kata

Post by kata »

I have the Basjoo covered and the Fern, not sure if to uncover or not with the weather mild.

What a gentle voice, I thought that before...great vid as always Kris. My only concern is the mice love to be Insulated too... :lol:

Thanks!
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

cordyman wrote:that thumbnail shot :lol: :lol: :lol:

Going to give this a watch now, YK in cocoon method shocker, or not? time to find out icon_salut

Thumb nail changed! :lol:
kata wrote:I have the Basjoo covered and the Fern, not sure if to uncover or not with the weather mild.

What a gentle voice, I thought that before...great vid as always Kris. My only concern is the mice love to be Insulated too... :lol:

Thanks!
Better to have mice in the garden than the house. :D
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

A different approach compared to me. I just don't like straw, and don't like straw in the flower beds.
kata

Post by kata »

Better to have mice in the garden than the house.
Too true Kris.

:mrgreen:
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

fern Rob wrote:A different approach compared to me. I just don't like straw, and don't like straw in the flower beds.
come Spring when the cages are dismantled, the straw takes care of itself within a week, by either blowing away or rotting icon_thumleft
kata

Post by kata »

Are you living in the sticks Cordy for the straw to blow away... :lol:
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

kata wrote:Are you living in the sticks Cordy for the straw to blow away... :lol:
obviously you don't just dump the cage content in the garden ;) Put it all into the green recycle bin (even though they say no straw - i always do :shock: ) Any stray bits won't be about the week after icon_thumright
kata

Post by kata »

Green bin for garden waste here. So straw will be acceptable.

cordyman

Post by cordyman »

kata wrote:Green bin for garden waste here. So straw will be acceptable.

i thought that but mine says no straw lol

I think they are against soiled pet bedding etc :lol:
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:Yes cable ties are the future, I am converted!
Not very green? :(
kata

Post by kata »

Pick up the turds and bag for the household waste,

By the time they pick up the green bin the inner stuff should be dry. Not feckin horse manure your trying to recycle is it...HAHAHAHA

Kris; you can buy green ties I have them here.
greenties.jpg
icon_sunny