Large tree ferns in UK!

doncasterpalmguy123

Large tree ferns in UK!

Post by doncasterpalmguy123 »

Hello there, i have recently became very interested in tree ferns especially D. Antarctica. I thought since there are other large plant threads i'd start one for tree ferns. So if anyone has any or knows of any large tree ferns in the UK, then please share your pictures. I would love to see them and I'm sure others would too! Regards DPG123 :D
fern Rob

Re: Large tree ferns in UK!

Post by fern Rob »

In March I have a 9ft Dicksonia antarctica coming and that will be my largest Dicksonia antarctica.
doncasterpalmguy123

Sounds great Rob! Remember to share a picture with us! :lol:
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I should think there will be very few large Cyatheas or Dicksonias except for Dicksonia antarctica.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

The largest will be in Cornwall most others died during the very cold recent winters.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
brendan

Post by brendan »

Not the largest but the tree ferns at trebah in Cornwall look great.
Attachments
Cornwall 2013 006.JPG
Cornwall 2013 038.JPG
Cornwall 2013 015.JPG
Cornwall 2013 014.JPG
Cornwall 2013 045.JPG
Cornwall 2013 046.JPG
Cornwall 2013 047.JPG
Cornwall 2013 048.JPG
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Tom2006 wrote:The largest will be in Cornwall most others died during the very cold recent winters.
I think some of Cyatheas where killled in Cornwall in winter 2010, I know of some Dicksonia antarctica that where damaged.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

brendan wrote:Not the largest but the tree ferns at trebah in Cornwall look great.
I would love my garden to look like that.
brendan

Post by brendan »

Tremenheere Cornwall
Attachments
Cornwall 2013 169.JPG
Cornwall 2013 154.JPG
Cornwall 2013 125.JPG
Cornwall 2013 121.JPG
Cornwall 2013 122.JPG
Cornwall 2013 119.JPG
Cornwall 2013 123.JPG
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

brendan wrote:Tremenheere Cornwall
They look great. What is the tree fern in picture 6?
doncasterpalmguy123

A great video here from august this year. I must stress this is not my video! I wish i had a garden like that. Surely the owner must be a member of the forum? Maybe they're one of you guys?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ9pwefBbBs

A great video with beautiful plants. :D
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Looking at the pinnate on picture 6 i keep wondering if its C Australis but the trunk is to thin and not the silvery colour.
brendan

Post by brendan »

fern Rob wrote:Looking at the pinnate on picture 6 i keep wondering if its C Australis but the trunk is to thin and not the silvery colour.
Don't know what the tree fern is in picture 6 but heres a plant list from Tremenheere,its probably one from zone 33.
http://www.tremenheere.co.uk/assets/fil ... ooklet.pdf
tropical Tom

Post by tropical Tom »

brendan wrote:Not the largest but the tree ferns at trebah in Cornwall look great.
Are you sure that's Trebah????.............Looks like Karls back garden to me :lol: :lol: :lol:
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

brendan wrote:
fern Rob wrote:Looking at the pinnate on picture 6 i keep wondering if its C Australis but the trunk is to thin and not the silvery colour.
Don't know what the tree fern is in picture 6 but heres a plant list from Tremenheere,its probably one from zone 33.
http://www.tremenheere.co.uk/assets/fil ... ooklet.pdf
Thanks for that,
I had a feeling that it was a Dicksonia Youngeaii but thought no way it would be but I'm quite sure after looking at the plant list that it is now.
Thats a great and very rare plant both here and the wild i think.