Dicksonia squarrosa - fronds turning brown

samtobuk

Dicksonia squarrosa - fronds turning brown

Post by samtobuk »

Did some rearranging in the greenhouse this afternoon, and noticed my squarrosa fronds are starting to turn brown in some number.

A few weeks back only one looked to have died, and thought nothing of it - might just have snapped when moved. Now although the biggest fronds still look perfectly happy and green, there are probably 7 or 8 turning dark greeen and starting to spot with brown.

Could it just be drying out? Or would you expect the older fronds to die off naturally over winter? I only water every 2/3 weeks, although give it a good soaking. It is sat in a greenhouse with fan constantly running, not got below 5 degrees, and averaging around 8-9 degrees, so I'd have thought it should just fairly happily sit in stasis for a few months?

This one doesn't have any trunk to speak of, but is established and has several growth points and a few inches of furriness (but wouldn't really describe it as a trunk).

Can't post a pic up in this forum, but any advice welcomed. My antartica sat next to it seems fine in contrast.

Don't want to let this one slowly die on me, hoping this is nothing terminal! :roll:
fern Rob

Re: Dicksonia squarrosa - fronds turning brown

Post by fern Rob »

D squarrosa do sometimes have brown pinnate when they are coming to the end of there life ( by life I mean the fronds life ). D squarrosa will loose fronds at this time of year, as long as the new fronds are still green. I wouldn't worry.
samtobuk

Post by samtobuk »

Thanks, that is reassuring. Was unsure of that still happening if they are kept out of the really low temps. It did appear to be primarily the outers, but can't see properly to be sure.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Can you Pm pictures of the D squarrosa if it will not let you post them? I'm sure the fern will be ok.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Fronds often start to brown at this time of year its normal so long as not all go brown.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.