How's your knuckles? (Tree Ferns)

sanatic1234

Re: How's your knuckles? (Tree Ferns)

Post by sanatic1234 »

I hope so, i a more concerned about the rain to be honest as there is quite a bit to come for the autumn so will make drying out a lot harder. :( back on topic :lol: it is so easily done. :lol:
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I agree. Might put my poly house up just to dry things out a bit.

On topic, my tree ferns all have a few knuckles which seem as if they might try to push through before winter. :? :D
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

It may be a good thing if they were to stay put now, don't you think? frosts could be starting next month.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Yes, hopefully they will stay put until next spring
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Yes, hopefully they will stay put until next spring
kevineden

Post by kevineden »

i will try and post some pics around midweek
kevineden

Post by kevineden »

my poorly Dicksonia antarctica thats just flushed verdicts please
Attachments
dic 001.JPG
dic 002.JPG
dic 003.JPG
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Worst scenario Kev,
if the middle trunk rots thru or enough to render it a no goer, cut thru the trunk above the rot and reroot it.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:Worst scenario Kev,
if the middle trunk rots thru or enough to render it a no goer, cut thru the trunk above the rot and reroot it.

I think this is the only chance it's got. Otherwise the rot will cause the Dicksonia antarctica to fall over in the future if the rot goes right through. The top half will end up with no connection to the bottom half and will slowly die.

I would be tempted to try and save it now and cut the top off to re-root it.

This is unknown territory so not 100% either way.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Well, to me that look like the outside of the trunk has frozen killing some of the core, but there may be a small bit down the middle which is still alive. The flush is in the middle where as the base of the fronds are normally further out.

Seems of lot of people's logic on here tells them to do the opposite of what my logic tells me to do. They come from a rain forest, so dry them out icon_scratch icon_scratch . Cacti you keep dry... Tree ferns you keep wet.

The water adds thermal bulk, which has to give up it's heat before it can freeze.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Kev.
Perhaps sterilize a thin metal skewer and just gently see how far the rot has spread in. poke around at a couple of angles until you can gauge how deep and far the soft rot has spread, never know it could be minimal
kevineden

Post by kevineden »

there was 2 places where it was oozing it was at the base which cleared up when i flushed with h202 .now the other patch seems to be more watery than sticky .if rot was in the centre of the trunk would this goo find more than one place to escape from?
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

My understanding of the goo is that its a fungi or similar type of growth that forms on dying moist plant material, it can be seen on other plants. The crown has growth and looks ok. Had to say what to do. But if you cut above the goo then it should re root although you'd have to protect and give tlc through the winter. Seems a shame to loose all that trunk but who knows if you leave it on it could just rot right through and die?
kevineden

Post by kevineden »

i could leave it til spring and see what happens if i cut above the goo im going to be left with a 2foot fern which i could pick up for £40-£50 if maybe it pulls through im left with a 6 footer icon_scratch icon_scratch icon_scratch
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

[quote="Dave Brown"]Well, to me that look like the outside of the trunk has frozen killing some of the core, but there may be a small bit down the middle which is still alive.

That makes sense.

Any more movement Kev? Over the last couple of weeks two more fronds have started to unfurl on my one (similar to yours) and have to say these latest fronds look a lot happier/healthier than the Spring ones. Hopefully your's will behave the same and no need for the chop icon_thumleft

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.