How's your knuckles? (Tree Ferns)

The Codfather

Re: How's your knuckles? (Tree Ferns)

Post by The Codfather »

I would say it is alive......and to move it into a warm covered area for the winter.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I'm with Coddy but nothing too warm or dry as mould/fungus could set in or it could just dry out and die. I will only be moving mine inside/undercover IF we get temperatures forecast to be below -5C
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
kevineden

Post by kevineden »

dicass i think i can feel a sub surface frond 3 fronds thats opened now the look healthy but small still slight oozing still got some h202 to flush with.if its green and growing then theres life.lets hope we dont get extreme temps icon_thumbdown
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

That's good news then Kev, we could do with it being the start of the season instead of the end, give them more of a chance to recover properly before the cold hits.

A dead one that is lying flat on the ground now, I was going to try baby tears on there, but looking at it now, it looks as though moss is just starting to form already on the trunk in a damp shady spot.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
kevineden

Post by kevineden »

does the crown feel quite solid on yours dicass
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

No Kev, checked and it feels normal. All the top knuckles have unfurled now leaving the soft brown fur.
Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I think this heatwave is making my Dicksonia antarctica push up new fronds!! Not good considering they wine have time to harden off.
Adrian Bton

Problems with knuckles on tree fern

Post by Adrian Bton »

Hi I am new to the site as I wanted some advice on my 5ft Dickinson Antartica tree fern......I am new to sub tropical gardening!!!
I bought the tree in november and wrapped before the cold spell tying up the short fronds that were growing on it.....Now I cut of old dead fronds and have unwrapped and have been watering it twice daily once with a hose and new knucles are appearing so I know it has survived!! It is growing in a massive pot with plenty of room.

Some of them seem to be growing with a split that is slightly black so they seem that they are deformed and I assume if they grow they will not last but some seem ok?

Is this frost damage or mechanical damage? and do I have to be patient as new knuckles will come through?

Any advice would be appreciated?
Many thanks

Adrian :D
Attachments
Knuckles on my tree fern.....<br />Some seem split with a tinge of black<br />but some ok?
Knuckles on my tree fern.....
Some seem split with a tinge of black
but some ok?
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Hi Adrian
its frost damage . The one on the left of the crown looks particularly bad and when unfurled a strong wind might snap it but they are remarkably strong , so time will tell. The other croziers look ok tho, one or two with a little superficial damage................it'll look fine tho , not to worry icon_thumleft
Adrian Bton

Post by Adrian Bton »

Many thanks Arlon....that has put my mind at rest!!! :D :D
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

As Arlon says. I would cut the badly damaged ones away as the good ones push up. A new one will quickly push through from underneath.

Mine are all ready to pop.....which is worrying looking at the coming weather.
call

Post by call »

my babys got two now
they grow up so fast :roll:
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

My sanfernando has got 14 knuckles so far waiting to open, i can't wait for that. :-)
My sanfernatic on the other hand has only got 8 so far, but it will no doubt chuck up the odd few through the growing season like last year? or may be not. :lol:
Adrian Bton

Post by Adrian Bton »

Tx for all your replies!!! :D all advice apreciated!!
karl66

Post by karl66 »

My small dicksonia antartica is now on its 3rd flush in its first season planted out!!, its only got 1ft of trunk but is putting the 5 foot one to shame, thats flushed twice. karl.