How's your knuckles? (Tree Ferns)

themes

Re: How's your knuckles? (Tree Ferns)

Post by themes »

Speaking of the joined together ferns I was looking at one I got at Wilkos last year and it looks like it has a division down the middle and was wondering...but maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me. I just given it a trim and their are 5 croziers at the moment forming...
IMAGE_377.jpg
trachy1973

Post by trachy1973 »

The one I bought at Wilkos for £15.00 last year has no sign of any new croziers growing as yet. Should it have started to show the signs by now?

I cut the last two dead withered brown fronds off it on Saturday and felt inside the crown. No lumps indicating emerging croziers at all.

I bought a new one at B&Q yesterday for £29.99 a little bigger than the other and this has five huge leave on it.

Keith
Simba

Post by Simba »

I bought my first Dicksonia antarctica a few weeks back, and I have been delighted the way its sprung into life....

I counted 8..... icon_thumleft

I liked it so much, I got a slightly bigger one at the weekend. Comparing the two, they are very different.
One has a trunk that is almost black, its leaves are more of a grey/green and they feel quite rough. (This one had a pink import label from Tasmania)

The other, smaller one is more like an Orangutan, and is covered in bright ginger hair. Its leaves are a brighter green, and they feel softer. (This one had a white import label from Australia)
Attachments
DSC03272.JPG
DSC03276.JPG
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

Simba there was a rumour going about in the 90s that Tasmanian Dicksonia antarctica’s were hardier than those from New South Wales, but I don’t know if that rumour was based on fact it may have been just a ploy to sell the Tasmanian Dicksonia antarctica’s,
In the UK they both appear to be as hardy as each other and given the right growing condition rock solid here, but Central Europe gets very cold compared to the UK it would be interesting to here if they have been tested to there limits over there, I’m not aware of any physical differences between the two though.
lucienc

Post by lucienc »

I've been very please to see my 7 foot D.squarrossa has sent out two new croziers. Keep forgetting to take a photo. It has sent out a baby one at the base, but 2 big ones are going for it up top.

Phew.

Lucien
Libby

Post by Libby »

nothing from mine, no lumps bumps or anything :(
greg101

Post by greg101 »

I think we counted 13 ready to burst open this is on our 4 footer , i can't wait to see them all. no signs on cyathea's :(
Attachments
18042009420.jpg
Petefree

Post by Petefree »

I haven't taken any photos of my 2 little Dicksonia antarctica yet this spring, though both are unfurling croziers - the one I bought recently has opened some out well already.
My C medullaris spent winter in the greenhouse, as it is still quite small (only got it last year) - but I planted it out a couple of weeks ago, in the sheltered shady corner - as its croziers were starting to move and I didn't want them to unfurl too much in the warmth of the greenhouse - I took a pic of the tight little croziers yesterday - something about the hairy young croziers on Cyatheas always reminds me of tarantula's legs :shock:
C-medullaris.jpg
Pete
trachy1973

Post by trachy1973 »

Yes it does look somewhat like an arachnid Petefree. How hardy is that over here?

Keith
Petefree

Post by Petefree »

trachy1973 wrote:How hardy is that over here?
Keith
Not reliably hardy unfortunately, Keith.
Some have success with larger trunked specimens in mild areas (e.g. London) but in most areas I believe it needs some winter protection.

Melissa & Keith are probably best placed to advise us - as I've only had this one a year and chickened out and potted it up in the greenhouse for winter.

Pete
becky

Post by becky »

hi just a little question :D :D does anyone know how long it will take for a cyathia medularus to show signs of fronding?
SteveP

Post by SteveP »

My tallest Dicksonia antarctica really enjoyed the rain last week.
DSC_0008.JPG
Cheers
Steve
Libby

Post by Libby »

Oh glory :roll: my 4footer is still doing absolutely nothing :( I wonder if I've lost it cos of the -10C we had :?
GARYnNAT

Post by GARYnNAT »

Libby have a feel around in the top, you should be able to feel the new knuckles :D

Gary
col

Post by col »

Here is my Dicksonia antarctica Dripper, Mk1:
dripper.jpg
(Of course, it wouldn't be there if guests were looking round my garden, but I spend long hours/days away from home and while I'm gone it just slowly drips away! :lol: I have two smallish Dicksonia antarctica - one, as you can probably see, is awash with fronds, and the other has no fronds but has plenty of good strong knuckles. It is to this one that I have allocated the drip-feed treatment. I have an automatic watering system which is close to the house, but the area of my garden where the Dicksonia antarctica are planted is a bit too far away from the nearest tap. )
777.jpg
Col