How's your knuckles? (Tree Ferns)

Arlon Tishmarsh

Re: How's your knuckles? (Tree Ferns)

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Certainley wouldn't give up on it but i have read that in those circumstances, do not water the crown as it will cause even more probs
kevineden

Post by kevineden »

thanks arlon but ive watered the crown through summer should i stop watering through the crown now i mist the trunk daily
Arlon Tishmarsh

i can only say what i read Kev and that was that if there's goo / rot in the crown , then pouring more water onto it will only make the situation worse. Makes sense i suppose. Perhaps watering the trunk and the fronds would be better and give the crown some h202 to clear all the bad gunk out. icon_thumleft
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Where is the goo coming from exactly?
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
kevineden

Post by kevineden »

goos oozing from 2 foot from the crown ive been flushing with h202 every 10 to 14 days @3% strengh
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

It could be that its died from that point and everything above is alive. I would be hesitant of stopping watering the crown if this is the case.
Arlon Tishmarsh

agreed but if it is in the crown i think i'd stop.

I think Kev put a pic up of it a short while ago icon_scratch
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

That's the same as what happened with mine Kev, although its pushed out fronds, it certainly isn't happy. I shall protect as required this year and hope for the best next year.

Tom, you lost as many :( the only difference is, you bought some more this year icon_cheers

At least my Blechnums have come through, took their time but have put on some growth.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I have never heard of goo and them surviving but then again I had never heard of goo in the trunk but not the crown before the winter just gone. Its new territory. Its got to be a good sign that the crown is growing. I would certainly give them all the love you can this winter, and protect from all but the lightest frosts.

The only two of mine that survive were my newest and thickest. I think that two bad winters and they haven't had time to recover from the last maybe and/or the thickness of the trunk also plays a part, who knows?

Di...I absolutely love these things :oops: :oops: :lol: ....got one 4 footer for less than £50 thanks to discount and a voucher so couldn't resist and the other, well, I just couldn't resist either, even though it was £80! :shock: :shock: Although worth it for all the pleasure they give me. :lol:
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

No Tom, I've never seen goo come out of the trunk before, so what the outcome will be, I don't know. Earlier on I did consider cutting it off above the goo (it was about 4ft down the trunk) and just planting the top again, but decided to leave it and see what would happen. Maybe I did the wrong thing in leaving it. Will see next year. This one is a fattie as well, 13 inches diameter, and think if it had been like one of my other thinner ones, it wouldn't have had a chance this year. At least it's giving a half hearted attempt at surviving :lol:

Can't see my garden without tree ferns either, and would definitely stock it again, funds allowing.

Kev, hope yours is okay next year, it's just a wait and see I think.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I reckon it will make it Di, if its put our fronds this year, with some TLC this winter I'm sure it will make it.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

My Dicksonia antarctica's have stopped all growth now, the last frond came out a round a month ago now, so i will just concentrate on the protection, i have some fleece already, but haven't even started to buy really for winter. should do really. never mind. :lol:
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Make sure you buy now San. I was relaxed last winter until all hell broke lose. :lol:
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I will buy start of October mate like normal, my first frost is always mid-end of October. :) I have most stuff potted to be honest so i'm not too bad this year, only my Dicksonia antarctica's, Trachycarpus F's, calliestemon and Phoenix canariensis_CIDP that need protecting the rest will be indoors in my new storage room. :)
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Sounds good mate! Lets hope all our efforts result in a nice mild one! icon_thumright :lol: