How's your knuckles? (Tree Ferns)

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: How's your knuckles? (Tree Ferns)

Post by Dave Brown »

karl66 wrote:My small dicksonia antartica is now on its 3rd flush in its first season planted out!!, its only got 1ft of trunk but is putting the 5 foot one to shame, thats flushed twice. karl.
I presume it is in response to the rainforest type weather. My longest planted has been pushing out fronds at about 5 at any one time since late June, and all but one, the last planted, have pushed out fronds after the main flush. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by miketropic »

I wonder how hard these are to get in the US ( an dicksonia antarctica mainly ) never seen one for sale that I can remember. Id really like to try one of these and see how they winter here in a KY winter..maybe the antarctica name will hold up :lol: . I would order one from the UK but a 2 foot trunk would be awful on shipping.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

miketropic wrote:I wonder how hard these are to get in the US ( an dicksonia antarctica mainly ) never seen one for sale that I can remember. Id really like to try one of these and see how they winter here in a KY winter..maybe the antarctica name will hold up :lol: . I would order one from the UK but a 2 foot trunk would be awful on shipping.
They can handle down to -10C (14F) for very short periods, but can't take a freeze. There is a rhizome that runs up the centre of the trunk and if that freezes, good bye Dicksonia antarctica :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by miketropic »

well maybe until its very large I could bring it in for the winters. I also have been talking to someone about heat tape with bananas so I might have to think on it and give it a try with the tree fern as well
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I know (via the net) of a few people who keep all sorts of tree ferns out in extremely cold winters with the use of heat cables, but its very costly to set up.

I lost five of my during winter 2010 and since then I have potted all my tree ferns so that I can bring them under cover. You just have to make sure you can keep them very well watered during the spring-autumn period. Last winter was my first with potted tree ferns and it worked perfectly as during a very cold spell in february I was able to drag them all under a heated polyhouse. icon_thumleft
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
RogerBacardy

Post by RogerBacardy »

Been a great year for Tree Ferns, mine has currently got 4 knuckles poised to unfurl, and has had a succession of new fronds since the summer. Never known a year like it. I guess Dave's right and all the rain has helped.

Mine actually had a terrible start as I planted it in May, just when we had a hot / sunny period and the fronds all browned up and died off. I guess they weren't acclimatised to all that sunshine after being grown indoors in much lower light (bought from Crews Hill), but with so many fronds having unfurled since then, it's not a prob anymore.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Yes Roger, its been the best year for them since I started keeping them. icon_thumleft
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Mine are still pushing out new knuckles!, somehow i dont think they will mature before the frost gets them though!, i think all ferns & bamboo's have been the winner's in this terrible summer. karl.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

my log that i got this year has a new knuckle just appearing.
and my hostas are flowering again.

i think they are gettign confused that spring is here again.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Your log will think its spring as its probably still thinking its down under. I wish I had hostas to flower, the slugs and snails have eaten them all to the stems. :roll: :lol: