How's your knuckles? (Tree Ferns)

Tom2006

Re: How's your knuckles? (Tree Ferns)

Post by Tom2006 »

Maybe the cold is to blame or the last two cold winters combined? My newest is a beast but wasn't posted up. The fronds are half the size of my other new one which was In a pot overwinter at the nursey.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
kevineden

Post by kevineden »

when i moved my 2 big ones last year they both never had any root system so when i had nutrients they dont really take up a lot of it .my other 6 footer still oozing goo i flushed with h202 3 weeks a go should i flush it again soon :(
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Kevin, I would say the lack of roots combined with the harsh cold will be the cause. Get it planted nice and deep in some well drained rich soil/compost and it should recover nicely.

My only surviving one outside is only just starting to push up two croziers. I have a sinking feeling that most of the crown has been killed off and just a few parts of the crown have survived but will just leave it in the ground this summer to see how it goes. I will be lifting it come autumn. I refuse to leave any tree ferns out in winters now, after the last one.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Tom2006 wrote:I refuse to leave any tree ferns out in winters now, after the last one.
After a 100 year December, we must have another 100 year winter icon_scratch Will you be gearing up for a hotter April next year.... I bet not :roll:

I have duvets again and hot water bottles, if worst comes to the worst. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Tom2006 »

Dave, I recall many saying we couldn't have a winter as cold, or colder than 09-10 and look what happened. I thought we would have a cold one, but never in a million years though it would be as it was.

I completely agree, that is theory we should be good for another 100 years BUT, to be fair with your locality and knowledge you got most of your plants through, I have lost hundreds of pounds worth, despite my efforts to save them. I wont take the risk again and from my research tree ferns live very happily in good sized pots, which can easily be sunk into the ground, which is what I intend to do with mine, then lift them come late autumn. I have mine in handled 65 litre containers, easy to move (drag on my own and lift with help).
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

You see, that is where we are different, I was expecting another bad winter as the global circulations had not picked up, however, it's earliness completely caught me out. Circulations still are not back to normal so another cold one could be on the cards, but the longer this goes on the more prepared I am :wink:

I have just bought more loft insulation using EDF's subsidy, this will take the total depth to 300mm. My duvets and hot water bottles will be ready from Mid November, should they be needed :wink:

I'm enjoying the warmth, but still thinking ahead :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Tom2006 »

with all due respect Dave, I know you had it cold with lots of snow, but we had nearly three weeks at or below 0C, day and night, with the coldest daytime temperature during this time being -14C!! Many places up here had it colder than that, I have friends only ten miles from me who had -19C and this area is virtually sea level. Even with duvets I doubt mine would have survived outside in that. With me living where I do I have to prepare differently now, and preparing I am, so in that sense we are on the same page, I just wish I had all your knowledge and experience. :lol:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Tom2006 wrote: I just wish I had all your knowledge and experience. :lol:
I've not had -19C ever, but I did lose everything outside other than Trachycarpus in 1984/5, than again in 1987. Loads of stuff in 1991. The experience is you have to learn to live with losses from time to time but not curl up and die yourself. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

I've just uncurled :lol:

What's the outcome now with the tree fern batterings from last Winter.

Here 3 definitely dead. Ooops make that 4 dead.
2 can feel knuckles but not grown - probably die
3 growing but biggie still looks rubbish and fronds are browning now.
2 Squarrosa dead but throwing up new fronds from base level. Starting again :roll:

Could it be possible that my biggie has died half way down the trunk, (was showing some gunge , not much but it was there, and the top part is just now exhausting itself. I'm sort of expecting this one to die.

I didn't buy any new ones this year, I wanted to see how these were going to do first.

Whats everybody elses fared.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Trainer John

Post by Trainer John »

DiCasS wrote:I've just uncurled :lol:

Di
My one and only is now on it's third flush. It was completely defoliated last winter but survived. It popped out 11 fronds in spring, 7 in July and is now producing another set. Only one frond out so far but more to come.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Third!!! icon_cheers Normally notice first flush then one a bit later, never a third here.

One log lying flat in my fern are, with all intentions of planting it up with broms etc.
never got round to it. I might try some baby tears on it next year, see how it looks.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Sorry to hear you have lost so many Di! I lost five including my two biggest. My two newest took ages to get going BUT they are alive. Bought two new four footers and all are in large plastic handled tubs.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Mine are lurvin' this cooler, wetter summer. My DelBoy had a 19 frond flush and has continued to throw up fronds since. They are not a flush as such, but I did count 6 in various stages of unfurling back in July. Now throwing out single fronds.

DannyBoy has produced many more fronds, but is very, very yellow and is suffering some sort of frond scorch icon_scratch

FatBoy, in it's first full season produced 13 fronds and another 5 during summer, This one is more difficult to water well.

Little and Large, both in their first season flushed well in spring and have produced occasional fronds during summer.

SquatBoy, is really doing well, a 1 foota with v wide trunk. Had a good flush in spring and has continued to throw out fronds since then. I'll have to have a count. This one was planted in a bed on the site of the old compost heap, so this may be what Dicksonia antarctica likes.

I'll get some pics over the weekend. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Trainer John wrote:
DiCasS wrote:I've just uncurled :lol:

Di
My one and only is now on it's third flush. It was completely defoliated last winter but survived. It popped out 11 fronds in spring, 7 in July and is now producing another set. Only one frond out so far but more to come.

Same here, my 6 footer has had 2 full flushes and has another set of knuckles already formed. I'm hoping they'll stay put tho for next spring.
kevineden

Post by kevineden »

my 6footer which was oozing has just pushed some small fronds whats the chance of a flush next spring?