Dicksonia Antartica

kata

Re: Dicksonia Antartica

Post by kata »

Blimey San,

That thing is going to be huge if that pic is anything to go by.

Let me see a pic in say three months what it looks like.

I was'nt sure because I have none. I did read what you were all saying about your Dicksonia antarctica's. I see now they are like, or even are, a fern.
icon_cheers icon_cheers

Di, well what good luck about your plant too....well done.
:mrgreen: icon_cheers
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I know i think they are going to be some big fronds there, I was so shocked to see that they were still growing, i just thought that they were growing before as i had them inside in my lobby, but they have been outside for weeks now! if not a good month or two, and they haven't stopped growing.
I just have to make sure the frost don't get them, but i have gotten away with the frosts so far so the protection i am using is good enough, well it should be its loads of layer of fleece. :lol:
dino

Post by dino »

It's way ahead of my 2 San. That's if they're still alive
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

As much as im really loving it dino, i am also dreading it as well as if the frost gets those knuckles that will be it for that lot, i know another lot will follow, but the size of them ones i will try my hardest to keep, i have just wrapped my 2 Dicksonia antarctica's up again as im forecast a -3c now it was only -2c :roll:

Did yours get hit hard then dino by the winter? and have you had the ooz yet?
dino

Post by dino »

I've got a planted 5 footer which has no signs of life. Saw slight signs of orange on the trunk but none in the crown.
i did fleece it in the cold spell but maybe not enough layers.
Also got a potted up 4 footer which at least has a firm crown so more hope for that one. It's also got a thicker trunk which does seem to make a difference.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Sounds like there is hope for it yet dino IMO, just keep it protected when real cold spells are forecast. I think mine is out of sync to be honest with it being a new import from australia, it isn't wanting to sleep yet :lol: This time next year i bet mine is doing what yours is just relaxing and waiting for the right time to burst. I think if yours was going to rot or show sighns of it then it would of by now.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

It's the fronds you need to worry about with these current lows.with a few layers of fleece the knuckles should be fine. None of my remaining goo less Dicksonia antarctica are showing any signs of life but then again they didn't until late April last year.I sincerely hope more survive than we are currently fearing for.

On a plus checked on my 4 footer today that I have a deposit on. It's looking good so can't wait to get it come mid April time.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
dino

Post by dino »

Tom2006 wrote:It's the fronds you need to worry about with these current lows.with a few layers of fleece the knuckles should be fine. None of my remaining goo less Dicksonia antarctica are showing any signs of life but then again they didn't until late April last year.I sincerely hope more survive than we are currently fearing for.

On a plus checked on my 4 footer today that I have a deposit on. It's looking good so can't wait to get it come mid April time.
Tom I've just cut all the old fronds off as they were black.
Mine didn't do much until late April last year also so fingers crossed eh
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

so an update on my ferns sanfernatic and sanfernando, first pics with fronds :) wanted to post pics a good month ago but no laptop stopped me. so here we are.
Attachments
sanfernatic.jpg
sanfernando.jpg
brendan

Post by brendan »

my favourite Dicksonia antarctica
Attachments
IMG_0544.JPG
IMG_0555.JPG
IMG_0545.JPG
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I am loving that bend brendan, is it newly planted? if so you may want to lean it back a little, only because over time the fronds will get bigger and they will be touching the floor as they nearly are now.

You jammy git though well done on getting one with a bend. icon_thumleft
brendan

Post by brendan »

hand picked it from seagraves this year because of the bend
3 tree ferns.jpg
some of my others
Attachments
IMG_0536.JPG
IMG_0539.JPG
IMG_0542.JPG
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Nice one buddy well done.. :wink: nice garden also.
brendan

Post by brendan »

cheers san still got lots to do to the garden as its in its first year. Ive got 6 Dicksonia antarctica now and am going to get more next year just love them.