Dicksonia Antartica

Mick C

Re: Dicksonia Antartica

Post by Mick C »

I give mine a bit of protection from radiation frost, a handful of straw or similar. I chopped up the dead brown fronds on the big one I got this year and used those.

Presumably yours have no dead stipes to hold the protection in place, maybe you could tie some fleece around the crown or just put a hessian sack over the top (not plastic for obvious reasons)
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

My Dicksonia antarctica has produced 5 new fronds so far i am very pleased about this, Although it has no trunk yet i just read that planting it into the ground will benefit it better than it being grown in a pot. Apparently Dicksonia antarctica's dont like to be grown all that much in pots because of when it starts to produce a rootball system. So i think i will plant it into the ground in the morning and give it plenty of organic matter. :wink:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

is yours inside SAN :?: Don't think anyone has got fronds outside yet. It is normally around the end of April before they start moving.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by countrylover »

I got mine inside. And it has started pushing up new leaves.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Mine is outside day and night but in its pot. I am still undecided if I should plant it yet as there are talks that there may be a ground frost? How true I am not sure.
Attachments
my DA is on the move.jpg
my DA is on the move.jpg (65.79 KiB) Viewed 2054 times
jacko

Post by jacko »

My 4ft Dicksonia antarctica springing to life
Attachments
da2.jpg
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

2 footer unfurling 19 croziers in the initial flush icon_thumright
20100510 Danny DA.jpg
15 incher unfurling with 17 croziers in the initial flush
20100510 Delboy DA.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by jacko »

Interesting to see the difference between mid Wales and Kent,yours look so far ahead than mine,plus you've kept the old fronds,Dave, amazing.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

My father up from Penzance commented on how far ahead things were here. I think it is the high temps we get on occasion. We had 7 days above 19C at end of April with a 22.5 and 22.9C. That really accelerates things.

The winter lows here were not much lower that the average lowest, but there were many, many more frosts and much lower daytime temps. Dicksonia antarctica does not seem to be really phased by it, and the only protection was a ball of fleece stuffed in the crown. The fronds are not in perfect condition, but are functional :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by sanatic1234 »

My Dicksonia antarctica keeps on throwing up fronds must be well over 10 by now but they are all small no more than 10cms. I did read on the forum that low watering adds to small fronds but I am watering it everyday into its crown. Its also in part shade as full sun just scorches the fronds really badly.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Dicksonia antarctica Fronds don't scorch in the sun unless it was grown in shade and then moved. My 2 planted out ones are in full sun for about 14 hours a day if it is shining.

Here is an update on the planted out ones taken 20th May. Actually looking at them now, they have grown a lot since then I'll take some more.
Attachments
20100520 DA Delboy 01.jpg
20100520 Danny DA 01.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by sanatic1234 »

Has anybody tried using miracle grow on there Dicksonia antarctica's? If yes what results did you get? I am considering trying some on my Dicksonia antarctica.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I just realised I have not put a pic on this thread for a while..... adding a couple of more up to date pics :wink:

San, I wouldn't feed with Miracle-gro All Purpose as it is probably a bit strong. I am using an occasional, (once a month-ish) dilute, chempak No2 (High nitrogen) with a dash of maxicrop (seaweed extract). I've also cut up a couple of banana skins and spread between the 5 Dicksonia antarctica.

I think in the natural environment the crown of fronds catches fallen leaves, and these rot down giving a very mild but constant fertilister

I previous years I have used Chicken pellets, but these have shot up in price this year, so giving a miss. :wink:
Attachments
20100718 Delboy DA.jpg
20100701 Danny DA.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by sanatic1234 »

Thank you for the info dave i will give that chempak and maxicrop a try :) Yours Dicksonia antarctica looks stunning :)
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

I've got knuckles icon_cheers

At long last, one that was badly damaged late Spring and had lots of emerging knuckles rot, looks like it's coming back to life. Only three from what I can feel, but three is better than none :D I nearly dug this one up and replaced it as it was in a prominent position in my fern area, but glad I never did now. Still no signs on another though in that area :(

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.