Dicksonia antarctica (Dicksonia antarctica) Soil conditions.

simon

Re: Dicksonia antarctica (Dicksonia antarctica) Soil conditions.

Post by simon »

redsquirrel wrote:so now the explanation i was given has been expelled as untrue,could it be ctp stock is suffering because it is out of the ground and has been for some time??
Any Dicksonia antarctica that is left unrooted will show signs of decline if they are not at least regularly hosed down to make up for it. The signs are usually stunted fronds and/or aborted croziers, so any stock like that has probably been hanging around for some time. I think when buying a Dicksonia antarctica it is always best to make sure it is fresh stock and always check that the crown is damp inside so you know they have been watering them.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Dicksonia antarctica (Dicksonia antarctica) Soil conditions.

Post by Dave Brown »

mmmmm....... With what has been said, and I recall the Dicksonia antarctica are cut off at the base but Cyathea are not, and the root ball comes in a hessian sack. I was told Dicksonia antarctica don't need roots at the base and will reroot from the trunk, but Cyathea just die if you cut the top off. :roll:

As my Dicksonia antarctica get watered several times a day in summer, maybe it does not need much ground root, and so only roots into the good stuff. As I said in my previous note it is growing very well :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright