Blechnum Tabulare

DiCasS

Blechnum Tabulare

Post by DiCasS »

Is anyone growing this and how has it got on over Winter. This year I'm pleasantly surprised as not only has it got through the Winter with little damage, and lots of protection, but it looks as though it's just starting to move.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Nigel Fear

Re: Blechnum Tabulare

Post by Nigel Fear »

Mine is a bit touch and go, but I foolishly left it exposed to the elements, though I;m sure it;ll pull through alright.

Next winter I;ll treat it with the care and attention that it deserves.

How did you protect yours Di?
themes

Post by themes »

Doing better then I thought...I started a thread a while back
http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... num#p86960

as long as you don't mind sifting

Undercover of Dicksonia antarctica's it is green, one has browned but it has no overhead cover
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

I hope it pulls through for you Nigel. I was going to take no chances this year and threw a few layers of fleece and a small blanket on top on the coldest nights, but generally left just fleece over. Last Winter it got badly damaged as in Mo's thread.

The Blechum nudum, well I gave the same protection as the tabulare but this one isn't looking as good. Will have to wait and see when the weather improves.

Mo you have done well with yours without protection, as you say the Dicksonia antarctica has saved your green one. Do you think the brown one will pull through, or is it just the leaves that have died.

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
themes

Post by themes »

dunno di, I hope it will. Hoping is not the same as knowing. But atleast i know it can make it through under canopy..as this is "supposed" to be the worst winter in 30 years. I have three chilense all purchased from Akamba in the last meet planted late and all still green and again thats promising. Both the Nudums look greeny/brown. I will know for sure in spring methinks
Last edited by themes on Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

I'm finding it hard to tell if the nudum is still alive or not as the fertile fronds are still on a quite stiff and can't really see down to the knuckles, I haven't had a feel yet either. If it dies I shall get another one but put it in a pot and protect in the greenhouse over Winter, as I like to too much to give up on it first go.

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
themes

Post by themes »

DiCasS wrote:I'm finding it hard to tell if the nudum is still alive or not as the fertile fronds are still on a quite stiff and can't really see down to the knuckles, I haven't had a feel yet either. If it dies I shall get another one but put it in a pot and protect in the greenhouse over Winter, as I like to too much to give up on it first go.

Di
if i see growth in spring i will update this thread with a pic...either way you will know
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

Both nudum & tabulare have survived with me,but usually defoliated.I think tabulare would do better under cold glass,will allow the plant to develop it's trunk.I guess well protected outside,it will be ok.

metalhammer.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Were yours left outside MH. I think these are ones I'm going to have to protect every year, but don't mind if it keeps them alive. Would you say these are on a par with each other as far as hardiness goes? Another one which seems to be flying through the Winter is a little hastatum that I bought from Akamba last year in a 1 litre pot, so a small plant. The second frond on this one is just moving, the first one got snapped as I fleeced it and then we had a skyful of snow which was lying on it for a few days, but for me here its an early starter. Next year I'll get one of those domes to place over it as its only a small plant.

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

I have had the nudum for far longer than tabulare,I lost a previous tabulare.Yes both stay out over winter,pot they are in is a bit to big to move.

metalhammer.
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Di, I've re-assessed the situation with my Blechnum Tabulare, and it's prospects seem a lot better now, the fronds aren't great, but are more green than brown, plus it looks as though it has a healthy set of croziers due to flush soon as the spring kicks in, then I can remove the older fronds.

I removed an offset from it as well last year, which may have aesthetically damaged it at first, and that too is ok, despite suffering a little root damage at the time.

So all in all a fairly tough little fern here.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Thats good to hear Nigel, and glad your offset is doing well too.

I'm surprised how early these Blechnums are starting to flush - there seems to be a small amount of movement in my tabulare already. I can't remember when they started last year but can't remember it being at the beginning of March, but could be wrong.

I'm just getting interested in these ferns and would love a couple of others to go down the bottom end of the garden where I keep my ferns. I'm impressed so far, especially with the temperatures they've taken the last couple of Winters.

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
fgtbell

Post by fgtbell »

My tabulare is a bit scorched but basically OK. It has overhead cover from a bigger Dicksonia antarctica but was otherwise unprotected. Minimum temp -8C. Assuming it puts out a flush of new fronds in the spring, the damaged ones can go. My Blechnum nudum was badly hit though, there's very little of it left.
tony

Post by tony »

Looks dead but after careful inspection there is some green deep in the crown so maybe there is some hope. We did dip below -10 though so a pretty severe test despite overhead cover from bamboos.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

After the Winter proper, I was disappointed my potted chilense had died, the Blechnum nudum didn't fare much better with the main trunk dying but has got small leaves from the bottom. Blechnum tabulare, throwing out fronds and growing away nicely now and hastatum is a great little fern and is doing well.

I acquired a new little Blechnum a while back which has been kept in the conservatory through the Winter, but will be going outside shortly. Lovely red new leaves which turn green when they age, but unfortunately tender.

Blechnum brasiliensis
Picture 780 [800x600].jpg
Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.