Tree ferns

metalhammer

Tree ferns

Post by metalhammer »

Despite the destruction of the last 2 winters,I want to have another go with some more tree fern species - young plants of Cyathea australis,Cyathea dregei,Cyathea delabata,Cyathea cooperi,Cyathea medullaris,Dicksonia fibrosa,Dicksonia squarrosa & possibly a few more off World-of-ferns website.All will be incarserated in my greenhouse until to big.Has anybody tried with Cyathea inciso-serrata?

metalhammer.
redsquirrel

Re: Tree ferns

Post by redsquirrel »

i cant seem to find any info on this one mh other than it is tropical,from borneo area. not going to be hardy but very beautiful apparently.
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

It is very similar in looks to medullaris,but very fast growing.I'm not very sure of it's hardiness,doubt it will withstand much below 5c at night,just about viable in my warmest greenhouse.

metalhammer.
Stuart Bebb

Post by Stuart Bebb »

I have a C. incisio-serrata I bought it last year at Vale exotics . I have it in a pot I found it slow growing last year and I've had it over winter in a cool conservatory interestingly it does have new fronds coming out so I'll repot it this year and see how we go. All the other Tree ferns you talk about are fantastic , I don't think C. australis is as hardy as people make out lost both of mine last winter and they were protected, one you have missed off on your list is C. brownii very fast growing not hardy but just a great Tree fern.
cheers Stuart
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I don't know anything about the fern specifically, but my experience with plants from Borneo is most need HEAT and HUMIDITY big time to grow fast and are disappointing in the UK climate. :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Stuart Bebb »

I think your right Dave they do seem to struggle .
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

Maybe I'll pass on the inciso-serrata then.

I have looked at Cyathea brownii,milnei & robusta as well.Money is the main issue currently.Most of then from World-of-ferns are £30 each.

metalhammer.
Stuart Bebb

Post by Stuart Bebb »

An interesting trio! C.medullaris is fast growing and the fronds get big even when young , but you must get a C.dealbata the silver underside is just beautiful
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

Lost a 4 footer last winter,£160 down the toliet.

metalhammer.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

that would take some getting round the bend
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

The dealbata wasn't the only casualty on the tree fern front that winter,lost 3 C.australis,1 C.smithii,1 D.fibrosa & 2 heads on a 4-headed D.A.

metalhammer.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Dicksonia antartica tree ferns are very hardy probably one of the hardiest tree ferns of all. it can with stand temperatures as low as minus 10 - 15 celcius. it is the oldiest tree fern around. They only grow an inch a year but look beautiful.
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

Yes,but medullaris is out of this world in comparison.I saw one with fronds getting on for 5 metres long on Tresco in 1997,was smitten then.

There are what are called 'white tree ferns',come from New Guinea,slow beautiful,but hopelessly unhardy.Cyathea tomentossima is so beautiful,but not a hope outside,well not with me.

The 'white tree fern' is Cyathea atrox,pics are on www.dicksonia.ie

metalhammer.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Thanks i will have a look. i have never heard of a white fern before? :)
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

The fronds on the white fern tree are amazing! and are very thick as well which would give extra protection against strong winds. It is the first time i have ever seen one of these. and like you say they are impressive!