Cyathea Australis (cooperi) double trunk (and separating)

Simba

Re: Cyathea Australis double trunk

Post by Simba »

A quote from 'Gavin & Stacy' - It looks well lush... :D
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Cheers Simba,
i know a couple of you guys were against seperating it but i think it was best. To be honest, the photo's don't do them justice. Two in a pot they were always going to compete for food, water etc. Seeing lovely 6ft plus fronds reduced by half and damaged as well couldn't have been good for them either.
Added bonus as well, i took some seedling out of the same pot a few weeks ago, pic 1 is as they were when they came out and the other 2 pics as they are now. I'm amazed by the growth in just a few weeks.
Attachments
DSC00775 [800x600].jpg
DSC00776 [800x600] [800x600].jpg
DSC00773 [800x600].jpg
countrylover

Post by countrylover »

OMG do they really grow that fast?? I must get meself one of these
Arlon Tishmarsh

CountryLover,
the one's i just seperated are throwing out almost a frond a week, its like a non stop production line :lol:
I think i'll be looking out for a few other varities like Medularis , beautiful tree ferns icon_thumleft
countrylover

Post by countrylover »

Der Palmenmann has small C. australis and trunks of C cooperi and the prices ain't high. Hadn't I spent a fortune on my new laptop I would've bought meself those beauties.
Simba

Post by Simba »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote: i know a couple of you guys were against seperating it but i think it was best..
I was in that camp, but I was basing my opinion on it being a single plant and not two tightly growing together.

You have proven yourself right Arlon, and now have two lovely Cyathea, which makes your bargain deal even more outstanding.....lucky sod... icon_thumright
Arlon Tishmarsh

Cheers Simba
apparently its quite a common thing i.e two in a pot to look like one. The challenge i suppose would be to find a genuine double trunk, probably a freak of nature tho. Worth keepin an eye out for tho
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

They do look a lot better Mark icon_thumright

I think if 2 spores germinated side by side, within a year or two the trunks would become so intertwined with roots that it would be one trunk. The only way you can get a genuine double head on one plant is due to growth point damage, and I don't know if Tree ferns can survive that.

It has happened on one of my Cycas revoluta due to neglect in a hot dry summer and the new flush was killed, but not something I would try to make happen. :roll:

I may separate mine, but as smaller than yours Mark, will leave over winter and separate in mid spring with more time for a recovery. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Arlon Tishmarsh

Gotta be better for the plant Dave,i think. Imo its no different to the 3 in a pot washies in the sheds . I'd like to see a big cyathea in the flesh, 8 / 9 foot trunk. I think they're more stunning than the Dicksonia antarctica's and i do like my Dicksonia antarctica's. Its the combination of the way they hold the fronds and the bare stalk of the frond to almost half way up the frond. Very elegant. icon_thumleft
bev

Post by bev »

looks much better mark, a lovely fern!

the garden already looks well established, pukka job. icon_thumright

cheers

lee
Arlon Tishmarsh

Thanks Lee icon_thumleft
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

have to agree,they do look better. as does everything else,taking off well Arlon,and to think you did it in 10 days is amazing
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Cyathea Australis double trunk (and separating)

Post by Dave Brown »

Well, that time has come for me.... wish me luck

Arlon, as the Tree Fern surgeon, did you just cut down the middle, or tease them apart :?:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Arlon Tishmarsh

Dave , when i got mine it was in a large plastic patio pot. I left it in the pot to keep it intact and gently cut down between the "trunks" and then cut thru as much of the rootball / soil whilst still in the pot to stop it all falling apart. Dave Bryson told me he'd done a couple himself and its not worth messing about with it i.e. trying to seperate roots etc as it'll do more damage. There should be enough root to sustain both halves when seperated.
Only took a couple of minutes to seperate, i just kept them well watered and in the shade for a while after.
Hope it goes well, no reason why it shouldn't based on mine and they are much better seperated and much better looking for it. icon_thumleft
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Cheers Arlon, icon_thumright I'm going in :ahhh!:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright