D. Antarctica fanatics...how are you protecting yours?

Tom2006

D. Antarctica fanatics...how are you protecting yours?

Post by Tom2006 »

Hi guys...i've been looking for a site like this for ages. I have seven D.A's in my garden which range from 5' to 1' in height. It all started about 8 years ago with a two foot one and my passion has gone from there. In fact I would have my entire garden full of them if I had the money! :lol:

I live in East Yorkshire near to the Humber and normally the Humber keeps us a few degrees warmer than the surrounding areas. However last winter of 09-10 we had temperatures of -11C three nights running and the rest of the winter was dominated by very harsh frosts and snowfall. That said, and despite my real concerns I had lost all my ferns, they have done very well this year...considering.

I am now starting to worry about this coming winter and would VERY much value peoples tips on how you get yours through winter.

Last winter I packed the crowns with dry straw which I changed every few weeks. As the winter got worse and worse I wrapped the upper 1-2' of the trunks in some fleece and cut all the deep fronds off. I then placed large plastic pots (with air holes in them) over the tops over night and took them off during the day to allow the ferns to breath.

I just made the above up as I went along so would love to hear how others protect there D.A's please. I don't mind losing any other plant in my garden...in fact I'd lose the lot in exchange for the survival of my tree ferns.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
mouse

Re: D. Antarctica fanatics...how are you protecting yours?

Post by mouse »

Hi tom and welcome to the forum icon_thumright
I'm with you 100% i love tree ferns too icon_cheers
its gonna be a learning curve for me this year as the 7 tree ferns i have are all new.
From the information I've got from this site.
What your doing is as much as anybody else does.
jezza

Post by jezza »

Scrunch a bit of fleece into a ball and shove it in the crown. It's all i have done and i've had no fatalities.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I put a ball of fleece or leaves in the crown to protect the knuckles, but even last winter although long and cold, I did not get the extreme lows that others did. Lowest here was -5.6C and the fronds remained green, although a bit bronzed in places.

This year I have 3 new Dicksonia antarctica 2 x 1ft and 1 x 2ft. These I will drape fleece over if there is a very cold spell, or an radiation freeze forecast. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by musa_monkey »

I push fleece down into the crown and also wrap the top third or so of the log with fleece. This is in an effort to protect the internal root structure. We saw -12c here last year and they all came through fine so i plan to do the same this year.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

I reckon that I will be doing the same as musa_monkey with mine this year.

The fronds will be cut off in December and then it will be wrapped up with a lot of fleece, then one of those fleece bags over the top as well.

If it goes nasty cold like last winter again then I will even look at wrapping some small lights around the top of it because surely if it stays cold for a long period of time no matter how much insulation you have the core temperature will just fall down to the ambient temperature outside of the insulation?
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like we are all planning on doing the same. Let's hope its a nice mild winter
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Mick C

Post by Mick C »

I must confess to having become a bit complacent; until last year I just scrunched some straw in the crown. Having come close to losing a 3 footer this year, I'm going to take a bit more care this winter; the plan is to cut off the fronds and cover the trunks with a hessian sack stuffed with old fleece when some proper frosts are on the way.

Yes, I hope we get a nice mild one too!
delboy12

Post by delboy12 »

Same as dave for me just stuff fleece in the crown,and myn have been fine down to -15 icon_colors
Simba

Post by Simba »

Fleece and dry leaves in the crown, tie the fronds into a pyramid above the crown and wrap the fronds and top half of trunk with fleece.

I only had two Dicksonia last winter a 1ft & 3ft, but they both came through just fine.