Cordylines are down by 60% here

Si

Cordylines are down by 60% here

Post by Si »

Sorry to be negative with this post, but, it seems to me whilst on my travels I can't help but observe that over half the cordylines (and that's being conservative tbf) are now dead in the NW of England (some huge ones too), it's horrible to see them, completely wierd how some seem fine and strong blowing away in the wind and others are totally gone, wilting or stumps.
What's it like round your way? are they ALL ok? and I don't just mean yours, how have they survied as a percentage, out of the south coast and SE?
Another winter as bad or worse could see those areas invaded too, it does seem that a pattern is forming here with these Siberian winters getting colder and spreading further south each year...again, sorry to be a downer icon_thumbdown
Last edited by Si on Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adam D

Re: Corylines are down by 60% here

Post by Adam D »

A lot of places are going to see the way their local plants look changed quite significantly after this winter.

It is a shame.

Up here you rarely see Cordylines inland as the climate is too harsh and they just get whacked quite regularly.
RogerBacardy

Post by RogerBacardy »

Round here all the green ones have survived, although some may have lost their growing points and will reshoot lower down.

Down the road there are 3 cordylines planted next to each other. A regular Australis, a purperea and a torbay dazzler. Planted at the same time and very interesting to see how their growth rates compare.

Needless to say, the green one has grown the fastest (twice the size of the other 2 ) and it's the only one to not show damage. The purperea might be a gonner completely, whilst the dazzler has very brown leaves.
Tropical Bob

Post by Tropical Bob »

The tops are all goners near me, one down the road had survived i thought, but today it too was going brown and tilting, many will grow back though, hopefully mine first :lol:
jezza

Post by jezza »

Where i live there isn't a single cordyline left with it's top still attached. There are only two places in chesham that has anything other than cordylines (myself and an office complex a mile away with trachycarpus fortunei). There was a chammy in the high street but i noticed on wednesday that it had disappeared icon_scratch
Tropical Bob

Post by Tropical Bob »

Thers an office near me with 4 Trachycarpus's all doing well, their cordyline looks nuked though..

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?client=fi ... 01929&z=16
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Green ones near me are fine or have growth point damage, like some heads on mine. As you go further away from the river and up the hill the damage becomes worse, and up the top by the A2 they seem to be flopped.

The purpurea, including my 15 foota next to trunky Trachycarpus, are all showing damage, a couple in dips look like the growth point is completely gone.

All types near to the house walls seem ok :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

None that I can see round here :( All gone - except for one. Smothered in ivy, close to the house, built up area, and still in good condition. Saying that, there's a cluster of them standing right up against the wall of our local Beefeater which has been there years multi headed, never damaged before but this year all the heads have flopped. Last year all the multi coloureds went, this year the greens :(

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
delboy12

Post by delboy12 »

All Cordys gone here in yorkshirenot seen one thats ok.wind now smashing everything to pulp. :( :(
billdango

Re: Cordylines are down by 60% here

Post by billdango »

nearly all cordylines here in southampton seem okay up to now . i haven;t yet seen any killed or damaged by the last two cold spells ,unlike all the Phoenix canariensis_CIDP;s which have been totaly destroyed. i did see a few varigated forms and brown forms scorched by the wind but thats all. mind you it might be a differant story on the outskirts of the city .i will check it out later this month . regards . billdango. :D :D :D