don;t miss this.

billdango

don;t miss this.

Post by billdango »

20 dead Phoenix canariensis_CIDP all with center spears pulled out at my local b,q store,now reduced to £9 .98p each .i just had to tell someone ????. rgds billdango . icon_scratch icon_scratch icon_scratch icon_scratch
kata

Re: don;t miss this.

Post by kata »

Do we really want dead dango :lol: :lol: :lol:

Are you maybe thinking some TLC will resorect them.

Thanks. Now had their been a Waggi in there..hmmm... :lol:

icon_cheers icon_cheers
billdango

Post by billdango »

sorry to disappoint you Kata,even the t .fortuni,s were as dead as a dodo. :( :( :(
rgds billdango.
Ste

Post by Ste »

Surely no one would waste a tenner on a dead plant
jezza

Post by jezza »

I've noticed this at my local b&q. Pretty obvious the management have no clue.
billdango

Post by billdango »

beleive me ste the dongerillas of southampton don,t know any better . but we do . :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
kata

Post by kata »

Blutty cheek of em,

I think Bill, they include the gardening as an aside cus they seem to know damn all about care of the plants. Least thats the way it is at B&Q, also Homebase, though HB is slightly better.

I asked at HB after christmas about a fungicide. My Cordy had all but gone and a member here mention fungicide may save it.so I ask...If its not on the shelf we hav'nt got it..EC rules..
....He was'nt about to look..yes he did...vacant.

If any of them is giving them away its already dead. I was lucky last year and got a half dead Acer from B&Q for £5.00 a lovely Bergundy as it turned out. It looked like a weeping Acer but if its the long drive, driving rain and wind I don't know but its branches are now shaped scoop (upwards).
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Ste wrote:Surely no one would waste a tenner on a dead plant
You'd be suprised :ahhh!:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by billdango »

you were lucky there kata,but i must admit some years ago i bought a small red hibiscus sinensis from b.q which has now grown to about 4 foot high and is covered in lots of big red flowers every summer . so at least thats a good thing for me ?. i must point out in fairness to b.q that you can buy some great plants there but i am not impressed with some of there palm trees lately. rgds billdango . :( :( :( :(
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

jezza wrote:I've noticed this at my local b&q. Pretty obvious the management have no clue.
Of course they have a clue - if they can persuade people to hand over money for dead plants, they get a bigger pay packet at the end of the day.
kata

Post by kata »

They would need to be real suckers,

At least B&Q do sell off good plants simply because they allowed them to dry out. you visit in a very hot summer and see for yourselves how dry.

Their standard roses are usually a good end of year, B&Q sell a lot off at year end and I miss them. Mine now is right into Wigan, then a good walk back to the town center.

icon_cheers
billdango

Post by billdango »

anyway everyone look on the bright side ,i bought some fantastic pea gravel there yesterday . its great for agaves .???. billdango . :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

At my local B&Q the gardening "experts" don't even water any of the palms outside (as they must surely all grow in the desert :roll: ) Though they leave a sprinkler on the roses for about 12 hours... So round here they have plenty of dead ones in the summer too :lol:
billdango

Post by billdango »

at least at the b&q here in southampton they have removed all those dead palms and replaced them with dried out spring bedding?.but look on the bright side,the bags of compost are nice and damp .
rgds billdango. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

The thing with B&Q and Homebase is... they don't really care about the info on the plants or what requirements they need as that don't make them buisness.
Cash makes them buisness and keeps the firm ticking over, there will always be someone that thinks oh that looks nice i will buy it not knowing if its dead or not. :roll:

It's the members like on here and other gardeners that can tell the difference. :wink: