Cycas revoluta baking 2011

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Cycas revoluta baking 2011

Post by Dave Brown »

Hi Mat, and welcome to the forum icon_salut

I note you are from India, so may be an ideal climate for these, which is probably why they are being planted in many places. In the South Japanese Islands where these come from they have drought and summer monsoon, the same as much of India.

These do not grow fronds (leaves) all the time, and if it had a flush in April, it may not have another for some time. Here I only get a flush every 2nd year, but in places with warmer climates they can flush up to 3 times a year. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Las Palmas Norte

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

A few nice ones from my buddy Banana Joe while on vacation in Waikiki.

Cheers, Barrie.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

They are gorgeous! They must be ancient too.

I had to laugh when the blonde walked past and he said "Aren't those beauties" then turned to check her bum out!

:lol:
Matcycas7

Post by Matcycas7 »

Hi Dave Brown, Googlebox, Las Palmas, Dicas

Las Palmas those sagos in that video are very tall with massive trunks and indeed they are the big daddys that we can't find among the sagos here. We don't have such tall massive Sagos here.

Dave Brown don't take that much patience to wait for a year. If u want it go and get big new one grown in pot so that you can keep it indoors during winter or else transplant your Cycas in a pot otherwise it may dry again this winter. A used coffee spray under the leaves will keep the Cycas scale insect away. I heard that perlite and pumice is best for Cycas Revoluta.

I have taken some pictures in Shamshabad Airport in India. May be I don't remember some years ago this airport was no man's land and now they created Cycas Paradise. It looks like hundreds of them are there across the airport road even though few of them were planted as far as an eye can see.

Look at that perfect alignment of the old fronds below the flush. I call them the trees of Cycas Heaven.

As its a restricted area I managed to count the flush with my eyes and it seems to be of 60 or 70 fronds.

Here some say that at any given month one can find atleast one flush on one Cycas somewhere and another flush in another month on another Cycas somewhere as the temperatures here are between 20c and 37c. Summers are below 42c.
Attachments
Cycas Heaven
Cycas Heaven
Cycas Paradise
Cycas Paradise
Las Palmas Norte

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

GoggleboxUK wrote:They are gorgeous! They must be ancient too.

I had to laugh when the blonde walked past and he said "Aren't those beauties" then turned to check her bum out!

:lol:

FYI ... that was his daughter at the end of the video.

Cheers, Barrie.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Well, that's OK then. Less amusing but OK.

;)
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

First time I heard about Starbucks coffee grounds was in about 2008. I used to collect the bags from Starbucks and mulch my soil with it, but I'll have a go in treating my Cycads with it, see how it goes. Thanks again for the link Mat, interesting reading.

Amazing flushes icon_thumleft

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.