Cordyline purpurea felled

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Cordyline purpurea felled

Post by Dave Brown »

2010-09-12 10-13-30 Trunky.jpg
My Cordyline purpurea did not fare well in the cold weather with the leaves drying up as the warmer weather arrived. I held out hope that the growth point had not been killed, and that it would continue to grow. That hope was dashed yesterday with the gale force winds stripping most leaves off.
2011-05-02 10-45-20 Cordyline purpurea .jpg
and then the bark was peeling off the trunk at about 5 feet.
2011-05-02 10-45-30.Cordyline purpurdea trunk.jpg
this means that the trunk has been damaged for most of it's height so had to come down. TIMBER
2011-05-02 12-23-22 Cordyline purpurea felled.jpg
The bottom 4 feet of trunk appears undamaged as was in a Chamaerops crown. This has been left in place hoping it will resprout.

Trunky Trachycarpus looks a bit funny at the moment as never seen it on it's own :lol:
2011-05-02 12-31-26 Cordyline purpurea gone .jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Re: Cordyline purpurea felled

Post by Simba »

Tis a pity....

How long had it taken to reach that height..?
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Gutted for you Dave. It was bad enough losing mine and they'd only been in the ground for a few months and were only 3ft high.

Losing a mighty one like that is awful. Trunky looks great on it's own though, really shows off the shape of the foliage to better effect.
samirbouag

Post by samirbouag »

ow gosh! i'm so sorry for your codyline! :(
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I planted it about 1995 ish I think. It has never flowered, hence the single stem. A bit indivisa-ish really. Hopefully it will regrow from the base or lower trunk.

Stiil got the sun here Sam, but temps only reached 11.9C here today with gale force easterly winds. You took the warmth back to the Med with you :ahhh!: :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by samirbouag »

Dave Brown wrote:I planted it about 1995 ish I think. It has never flowered, hence the single stem. A bit indivisa-ish really. Hopefully it will regrow from the base or lower trunk.

Stiil got the sun here Sam, but temps only reached 11.9C here today with gale force easterly winds. You took the warmth back to the Med with you :ahhh!: :lol:

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA 11.9C BRRRRRR it's the temperature in winter for me! :lol: i'm so sorry dave! :? :D i'm must to come back to uk! to bring back my mediteranean climate with me! lol hahhaha :P it's true when i was there, i was on my ass! icon_salut the weather was like the french weather! the same! no difference, or just, the sky, because where i live the sky is very very clear and clean, because the mistal blew! that's all! :DD
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Sam, you can come back and stay all summer if it makes our weather like the South of France. icon_thumright :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Las Palmas Norte

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

It may take a while but a pretty good bet it will send new growth from below.

Cheers, Barrie.
Rachelpalm

Post by Rachelpalm »

Hello
what a right shame. I had one about 6 feet tall which was 9 years old which done the same thing a few weeks ago. Cut it right to the ground hoping it will reshoot in a few months( like my green one which was about 7 feet and the entire trunk rotted, but it is now reshooting from the ground and had 2 shoots which are about 10 inches each). Let's hope they grow back.

kata

Post by kata »

So sorry Dave,

I was that shocked by it hanging like a thread, then when I saw it on the floor I could'nt believe it....very bad news Dave, this is not good...how do you cope with such devastation?

This flippin climate of ours is disgraceful but it IS supposed to get warmer, too late for the Cordyline though.

You have my sympathy.

:(
Panama Pete

Post by Panama Pete »

Did this ever come back Dave from the ground?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Panama Pete wrote:Did this ever come back Dave from the ground?
Yes but is still only about 1ft tall. Just doesn't seem to be growing at all :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright