Phoenix reclinata - escapes the jaws of death

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Phoenix reclinata - escapes the jaws of death

Post by Dave Brown »

After that appauling December, and the losses of Cordylines I did not hold out much hope for my Phoenix reclinata, trussed up in fleece in the corner of the deck. It had no form of heat input, just 3 layers of fleece and a fleece bag over the top.

In fairness, this must be one of the most sheltered spots in the garden, completelt sheltered from North and East winds. There is a Juniper shrub which partially overhangs the site, so all in all not a bad microclimate. The other good thing is that it does not get watered at all in the colder months, and the dryness may give it a better chance of coping with cold.

When I unwrapped it in Mid March it looked a mess, and I thought it's chances were very slim to non existent. Maybe helped with a super dry April I have kept any rots at bay, and while rummaging through the leaves I have now found a nice firm green spear growing, so there is hope yet :wink:
Attachments
2011-05-13 16-21-20 Sad Phoenix reclinata.jpg
2011-05-13 16-22-02 Phoenix reclinata hope.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Re: Phoenix reclinata - escapes the jaws of death

Post by billdango »

you were lucky dave,i had a 3 foot specimen in the ground up till last december.
it finally keeled over in febuary and is now as dead as the proverbial dodo?
i will add that one to my growing list of time wasting palms.
rgds billdango. icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
ash101uk

Post by ash101uk »

Just got one of these this evening. Will be keeping it in a pot and bringing it inside for the winter.
Attachments
Reclinata.jpg
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I wouldn't blame the plant as a time waster bill, i would point more towards the winters getting that bit colder for the past 3 years. It is going to be the same for quite a lot of plants out there. As daves has shown, sheltered, now winds and protection, with a helping hand of no rain, they can come through the coldest winter for 100 years :wink:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

ash101uk wrote:Just got one of these this evening. Will be keeping it in a pot and bringing it inside for the winter.
That looks a very fine recurving specimen Ash icon_thumright , where did you get it, if you don't mind me asling.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by ash101uk »

Got this one plus a few others from mike off the EPS.