C.Humilis...how hardy?

redsquirrel

Re: C.Humilis...how hardy?

Post by redsquirrel »

if it had been previously potted a long time,the roots would have coiled,subsequently pushing the plant up as the roots grow,if this was the case,you need to tease some out to anchor it better next year.stake it and mound soil round the base for now,chammies hate root disturbance at the best of times
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
philip kitts

Post by philip kitts »

My 16yr old lush chammie is in a large pot. It has never been colder then -8.5c here on the thames and that saw of my Phoenix canariensis_CIDP and even a cordyline ,my butia spear pulled but pushed out plenty more fronds,however my Washingtonia was hardly touched.

the problem with extreme low temperature records is that they never show the corresponding bounce back in temp .a -12c for one night in Arizona will often be followed by +16c(here in the uk -12 can be followed by a week of sub zero temps).
Also cold dry conditions suit palms better then cold damp, so desert climates squew the data available.nannorrhops ritchianais a prime example (no good in the uk )
Also some palms can grow out winter damage faster in cooler climates ( sabal and rhapidophyllum hystrix are too slow and need summer heat ) chamies and Trachycarpus can grow at cooler temps
Here are my guess-timats for se England based on the past twenty odd years
-15c trachycarpus fortunei/wagerianus
-12c chamies
-10c butia and Washingtonia
-8c Phoenix canariensis_CIDP
-6 sabal minor
philip kitts

Post by philip kitts »

philip kitts wrote:My 16yr old lush chammie is in a large pot. It has never been colder then -8.5c here on the thames and that saw of my Phoenix canariensis_Phoenix canariensis_CIDP and even a cordyline ,my butia spear pulled but pushed out plenty more fronds,however my Washingtonia was hardly touched.

the problem with extreme low temperature records is that they never show the corresponding bounce back in temp .a -12c for one night in Arizona will often be followed by +16c(here in the uk -12 can be followed by a week of sub zero temps).
Also cold dry conditions suit palms better then cold damp, so desert climates squew the data available.nannorrhops ritchianais a prime example (no good in the uk )
Also some palms can grow out winter damage faster in cooler climates ( sabal and rhapidophyllum hystrix are too slow and need summer heat ) chamies and Trachycarpus can grow at cooler temps
Here are my guess-timats for se England based on the past twenty odd years
-15c trachycarpus fortunei/wagerianus
-12c chamies
-10c butia and Washingtonia
-8c Phoenix canariensis_Phoenix canariensis_CIDP
-6 sabal minor
Didn't include jubea as I have not grown it yet :oops: so don't know for sure.
Steve May

Post by Steve May »

Thanks guys for your advice on my leaning chammie. You're spot on red squirrel - it was in pots for many years before being planted, the ground is hard so the roots have probably made it lean. Recent wind and rain have made it worse. It's now quite big, so hopefully I can nurse it thru til late spring when I can sort the roots out.