C.Humilis...how hardy?

medjool

Re: C.Humilis...how hardy?

Post by medjool »

No not at all i assumed they were hardier than they were,and the weather was a total surprise or shock.All my palms were in pots sunk into the ground,if planted and more established they may have made it,there are some good survivers in the same area all planted!
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I lost three of my fortunei all potted. In ground is certainly the way forward.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

I previousl had a vulcano one in the ground and it survived 2 winters where our minimum was -8C/9C, but the winter before last saw it off unfortunately.

Therefore the killing point in my experience is somewhere between -8/9C and -17C.

I must admit that I am with Dave on some of the claims of hardiness I have read on this forum since the last winter. Then again, maybe some people are very lucky and have some super hardy palms, even still I would not use their results as a benchmark for the average palm sold in the UK.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I agree Adam. An average winter would see most of our "hardy" plants survive but more like the last two and many will lose things if they don't protect, and even then with protection. It's good to see so many people sticking with this hobby though.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

medjool wrote:Dave they didnt believe Darwin in the 1800s and he was afraid to make public his findings,if we dont post honestly on here whats the point,my Waggies had -25c on the label it didnt help them through this winter!
I'm not saying you are not posting honestly, but I feel there are a lot of facts overlooked or missing. Like was the thermometer that read -18C in the same part of the garden as the Cerifera, was it completely exposed ie middle of a lawn, or up near a wall or fence, were there any overhanging trees, anything that might have affected it's exposure to the -18C ?

Mine is exposed about 10 feet from the kitchen and lounge wall so took the full radiation frost. Pic below on 3rd Dec and temps we already -8C at dusk. I had to abandon digging the car out as the snow, which had softened during the day, froze solid and I was in danger of damaging the car trying to get it off. :roll:
Attachments
2010-12-03 16-20 Chamaerops -8C.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by jezza »

Dave Brown wrote: I know there will be someone that comes back and says, "well, mine survived -12C/-14C/-16C " etc, but you would need to look very carefully at their exposure, as if it did survive those ambient temps, it was sheltered in some way :wink:
My two... one, planted at the north pole was totally unmarked and is growing well, whereas the other was planted at the south pole & totally defoliated :lol:

On a serious note though, i had two C humilis outside, one in a pot and one in the ground. Both identical palms bought at the same time at the same shop at the same size. The one in the ground was 3 feet away from the front wall of my house and was completely destroyed, not even any suckers came back. The one in a pot was left in an unheated greenhouse, which was right up against a south facing wall, bubblewrap wrapped around the pot, and it's fine.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

I've got 4 dotted about (or did have :( ) In 2008/09 Winter, had -9 and all pulled through with minor damage (leaves were burnt but all looked good by the Summer. Had extensive damage here in 2009/10 with a -12/13 here, three humilis spear pulled but all three came back again from the main trunks, the cerifera didn't spear pull but bad damage to the leaves (this had some protection from a taller Trachycarpus. This year, all died from the main trunk with a couple of plants having one or two shoots :(

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

jezza wrote:
On a serious note though, i had two C humilis outside,
but then went on to say one of those outside was in a greenhouse :lol: not really the same exposure, is it :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by jezza »

Outside as in not in the house is what i meant but i see your point.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

So in the car with the heaters on counts?

Right then, I'm off for a drive across Antarctica with a BONE HARDY 3ft Canariensis.

:lol:
jezza

Post by jezza »

The only thing protecting it was a temporary greenhouse. it still took the cold. If you're going to antarctica make sure you take the top gear team, they'll make sure you get there :lol:
kite567

Post by kite567 »

When comparisons are being made with regard to such things as hardiness etc. it is vital that wherever possible, all variables other than temperature are constant.
By this I mean, it's not a fair comparison if palms under scrutiny have different heights, aspects, soil types etc. etc.
A humilis of mine with 18inches of trunk had all its suckers spear-pull although its main trunk was undamaged. A smaller cerifera suffered no damage whatsoever. Both had snow heaped over them after a heavy fall.
You could say that cerifera is therefore hardier than standard humilis. But here the sample size is the smallest possible and so you shouldn't draw firm conclusions. Also these results cannot be compared against results for wholly unprotected palms.
I could go on and on but I won't. Thank goodness for that I hear you say :lol:
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Surely there has to be SOME degree of generality when talking about hardiness?

If there wasn't then the plant labels at B&Q would have to be the size of billboards and start Hardy to -12*c when planted in Dave Brown's garden in Chalk up against a south facing wall in clay soil with good organic matter dug in 3 weeks last Thursday......

Surely all determinations of hardiness should have some degree of average about them?
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Interesting debate :D , the points raised by members on here can only ever be an opinion based on their own experience and not fact :D . Whilst reading members previous experiences with hardy tropicals gives an insight to a plants likelyness to survive winter or not, it is not any guarantee.

I take on board knowledge and experience from all the members mixed with a little research of my own, then decide to take risks or not. If I suffer losses this winter, it won't be poor advice I have read, more likely my particular circumstances i.e weather, soil type, health of plant etc. Its very interesting comparing experiences, but it is subjective :D
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Well I have bought 4 of these this year.......... icon_shaking2
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !