Washingtonia robusta hardiness rating (Unprotected)

phatplants

Re: Washingtonia robusta hardiness rating (Unprotected)

Post by phatplants »

Here are a few photos that might help. Leaf tips are browning and curling. Have cut a couple off that had folded in on themselves and flopped. New spear appear very healthy and green. Palm does appear to be root bound in it's pot, but will be freed in the next couple of weeks.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

It could be all manner of things but a lack of water could be one of them . I bought a few Palms off Nigel last Summer. He was selling them off cheap because they`d been damaged in transit. Basically the container they were in had been delayed and they`d been without water for a few weeks. The leaves showed the same damage as seen in your pics. It`s nothing to worry about though, as you said,the spear is healthy and green. It`s just cosmetic. As long as the spear is healthy and green then it`s fine. Looks like a healthy Palm to me. icon_thumleft
phatplants

Post by phatplants »

Pic of whole palm
Attachments
image.jpg
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Hi m8, i tried a few of these & have had no success!, i call them the throwaway palm as unless your extremly lucky there more trouble than there worth, overwintering was always a big issue as the weak growth soon gets damaged when taken outside!. Better off with a similar size chammy as a lot less hassle. Karl.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Dave Brown wrote:
Please only reply to this on the hardiness discussion, and start other topics on protection and general discussion
This is a reference document.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by miketropic »

not my palm, Brians fathers but it does overwinter outdoors. it is hurricane cut with heat tape and some plastic for winter. we haven't had the worst winter but judging by the size it has seen some of our bad ones. I would say with a bit of protection there rating would be a 6B ( US ) easily.

fresh from this winter
doncasterpalmguy123

Post by doncasterpalmguy123 »

I know I'm a bit late, but my 1year old seed grown seedlings have survived -2c and are just as green as they were in summer. No damage at all. It was colder outside but they are in the conservatory hence why they only received -2c :-D
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

doncasterpalmguy123 wrote:I know I'm a bit late, but my 1year old seed grown seedlings have survived -2c and are just as green as they were in summer. No damage at all. It was colder outside but they are in the conservatory hence why they only received -2c :-D
My reference was to 'unprotected palms' so there is a difference even if your temp went subzero. A radiation frost allows surfaces to cool much further than the surrounding air and this causes the damage. Under glass radiation cooling doesn't occur at anywhere near the same rate as to an open sky. I've had Musa basjoo leaves survive intact at -4C in a polytunnel :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Washingtonia robusta hardiness rating (Unprotected)

Post by Adam r »

My washy that I bought in 2012 as a small seedling got through its first winter outside and it was our worst winter for years. It is planted against a south east facing fence and was covered over with a tomato grow house with the door open at the back near to the fence so it had protection from rain and snow but still with plenty of air flow. I was surprised how well it did. Only slight damage.