Pitfalls of T. Fortunei Planting

earthworm 73

Pitfalls of T. Fortunei Planting

Post by earthworm 73 »

Hi all this is my very first real post. I am already thinking ahead to next spring. I have a t. fortunei in a 7 gallon pot that I've had for about one month now. My plan is to plant it in ground probably the beginning of April. But I have a history of not being able to keep them alive. Over the past few years I have lost 4 trachys - 3 in ground and a 15 gallon that never made it through the summer. I had two small ones (est. 2-3 years from seed) that I failed to protect during one cold winter and they spear pulled turned brown and died. I know what happend to them and from now on will protect the first few years from cold and rain. I had another probably a 5 gallon that I lost about 6 weeks after planting out one summer. Don't know what happend to that one or the one in the 15 gallon box. What are the potential pitfalls of planting out trachys? icon_scratch
GoggleboxUK

Re: Pitfalls of T. Fortunei Planting

Post by GoggleboxUK »

They like a moist but well drained soil, they can't abide being sat in damp conditions but will tolerate most other soil types.

Could you have overwatered or gone the opposite extreme and not watered enough?

As long as you have good drainage (whether in the ground or in a pot) you can water every day in smaller amounts as I do.

Planting in March/April is definitely the best time as they'll get a full growing season to put down roots before winter. You might consider a coir mat in the hole soaked in Palmbooster then additional treatments through spring and summer to help the palm develop stronger roots faster.
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

...As gogglebox said really, I don't know where you're going wrong with Trachies other than that, seeing as you're in a zone 8b region they should be bolt-on hardy, ok, maybe the seed grown ones were pushing it.
Forgive me for asking this, but are you sure that they are Trachycarpus Fortunei, and not a similar looking, but less hardy palm?

Don't give up though, I'm sure you'll have success this time around, and should you get a little nervous next winter, there are plenty of people here who could advise you about winter protection.
:D
earthworm 73

Post by earthworm 73 »

Nigel I am pretty sure they were windmills. That's pretty much what you get around here. Even though I was lucky enough recently to find one labled as t. takil (nainital) at a local nursery hidden behind other palms. :D And your right I am nervous about putting them in the ground next spring but I am looking forward to it at the same time.
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Remember Larrick 'Fortuneii favours the bold, but abandons the timid' :lol: . We all have casualties along the way, but don't be scared to plant those palms, next time they will be ok :D