Cycad Seed Split

Vagetarian

Cycad Seed Split

Post by Vagetarian »

Hello everybody, I have bought 5 Cycas Revoluta seeds from eBay which have all been soaking since yesterday morning. 1 of the seeds was a floater so after a few hours I decided to have a look at (play with) it and the shell fell in half (OK, OK.. I did give it a little squeeze :D).

My question is; what should I do with the opened seed? If there's a chance it will germinate I might as well give it a go but I'm thinking that maybe it will invite fungus and that I should germinate it separately to the other 4 seeds? Or perhaps I could just treat the lot with Bordeaux mix and check regularly. I shall be putting them in vermiculite sandwich boxes...

If it's even viable of course.
kata

Re: Cycad Seed Split

Post by kata »

Are Cycas seed not hard seed?

That must have been some squeeze you gave it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Germinate it seperate but see what others think before doing that.

Good luck!!
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

kata wrote:Are Cycas seed not hard seed?

That must have been some squeeze you gave it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
They are pretty hard but after opening it up I can see that the shell is in reality pretty thin when compared to something like a walnut. Anyway, I didn't have to squeeze too hard and it really did almost fall apart! :lol:

All the seeds had a slight rattle by the way, after googling I'm not sure whether that's a bad thing or if it's normal.
kata

Post by kata »

Bung it in the compost and be done,

Look on it as an experiment. Don't be in a hurry to see germination though some seeds take anything up to two years.

I picked up from the floor three seed pods of a weeping tree, it must be a month now...nothing doing yet. I will leave them in the garden till its too cold then bring them to the warmth of the prop.

I am also going to try orange pips.

Its all hit n miss. When we get the hit its a great feeling. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

OK, it's going all brown and mushy and therefore I'd say that this one was a 'miss'. :lol: