3 Trachycarpus clump recovery after division

callin

3 Trachycarpus clump recovery after division

Post by callin »

Well...one month ago it took me five hours icon_aaargh to divide three trachys from one pot and put them in separate pots. i succed in keeping as much roots possible. Exhausted and terrible bored as i was, i forgot to picture their roots after separation :cry:
only before
3siames.jpg
It s been one month after planting in separate pots and there is no sign of movement.
i m worried they will not recover from the shock :cry:
I marked them with a black marker to see if there is any movement , nothing yet, not even a millimeter.
On each one a few base leaves gone totally dry and i removed them. The rest of the leaves are still green.
Do you have any advice for me please, is there any thing I can do to make them grow again?I ll keep them only indoor for the winter to come.

Thanks,

Calin
Conifers

Re: 3 Trachycarpus clump recovery after division

Post by Conifers »

They'll be putting all their resources into root growth; new leaves can wait until spring.

Look in the drainage holes at the bottom of the pot and see if there are any new (white) root tips showing; if nothing visible, try lifting one gently out of its pot (try to avoid breaking up the soil at all) and look at the sides or base of the soil for new roots.

Don't keep them too hot over winter, but make sure they have plenty of light.
callin

Post by callin »

Thanks to you now I m relaxed and do not worry about no new growth on them :P icon_thumleft . So they can be fine with no sign of movement above ground.
I will look in the pots for white roots.
Hope 21C in winter is not to much heat for them.
6400k bulb for light suplementing.
icon_thumleft icon_thumleft

Cheers,

Calin
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

21°C is very hot! Best to keep them between 5° and 12° over winter. Higher temperatures will boost the metabolism, and will need higher light levels (like summer daylength and light intensity) to compensate.
callin

Post by callin »

Wow... 21C is hot..!!? icon_scratch .
Then I better put them in my balkony but there can be minus temperature in winters during winter nights.
Thanks for support Conifers icon_thumleft icon_thumright
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

They won't mind slight single figured minus temperatures.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

callin wrote:Wow... 21C is hot..!!? icon_scratch .
For winter's low light levels, yes!

Actually, it's hot for here at any time of the year, there's only been about 5 days that warm here the whole of this summer (and Trachies do very well here, too)
callin

Post by callin »

I saw that you can grow beautiful Trachycarpus s there, here we have almost all summer above 28c so that means they will not grow well if planted in the ground? icon_scratch
Maybe i should plant them in shady spots or protected from the noon summer sun when is more then 30 C.
i think i deviated a little from the topic but i dream alot of a garden with palms in the ground here, i put a lot of passion/time in planning this and i will not take failure icon_rambo.
any advice is well received and apreciated.
thanks for your time.

icon_thumleft
kind regards,

Calin