UPDATE ON MY RAPHIDOPHYLUM HYSTRIX. BILLDANGO.

billdango

Re: UPDATE ON MY RAPHIDOPHYLUM HYSTRIX. BILLDANGO.

Post by billdango »

Simba wrote:I have one, but its really looking in a dreadful condition and hasn't taken at all well... :(

Sometimes it like that with palm trees.

Some do well in your garden and others look rougth or just cark it for no reason that one can think about.

You don't state if your palm is in a pot or in the ground?

That could make a big difference.

rgds billdango icon_thumleft
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Simba wrote:I have one, but its really looking in a dreadful condition and hasn't taken at all well... :(
I have 2 in pots which froze through twice last winter. In March one went brown all over whilst the other remained fine looking and green. I decided I'd give them both the same chance and left them in a shady spot where it was fairly damp.

By mid April the brown one was all green again.

I wish I'd taken pics because it really did look dead and now I can't tell them apart.

They are both known as Lazarus now.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? I'm not going to tempt fate and I'm planting them both this year.
Simba

Post by Simba »

billdango wrote:You don't state if your palm is in a pot or in the ground?
Small one kept in a pot Bill, but I am thinking of planting it out beneath a Trachycarpus and just forgetting about it.
GoggleboxUK wrote:By mid April the brown one was all green again.

I wish I'd taken pics because it really did look dead and now I can't tell them apart..
Hopefully mine will recover as your has... icon_thumright
billdango

Post by billdango »

This palm seems to do better in the ground then in a pot.

At least the one I have left has grown to a good size over the years and i think it has produced on average about 3 to 6 leaves a year.

Not bad in our cloudy climate I suppose.

Mine is planted under a large T Fortuni in my back garden and just loves the dappled light + is protected from buffeting winds as well.

They love moist conditions with leaf mould and occasional feeding.

Just protect them while tiddly and in a number of years you will end up with a biggly.

rgds billdango. icon_thumleft
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Just noticed mine has two new flower spathes
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Looks great Bill icon_cheers

Have you got any pics of it while stood further back to appreciate it in its surrounding environment? Also some more pics of your back garden in general, you have some quality specimens icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
billdango

Post by billdango »

cordyman wrote:Looks great Bill icon_cheers

Have you got any pics of it while stood further back to appreciate it in its surrounding environment? Also some more pics of your back garden in general, you have some quality specimens icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
Sorry cordyman ,the only pictures I have are already on the forum.

As the space in my garden is so tight I just can't get a better picture nohow.

And so far this year i haven't took any more pictures of my garden but I will have something to post later in the year.

rgds billdango icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

billdango wrote:
cordyman wrote:Looks great Bill icon_cheers

Sorry cordyman ,the only pictures I have are already on the forum.

As the space in my garden is so tight I just can't get a better picture nohow.

And so far this year i haven't took any more pictures of my garden but I will have something to post later in the year.

rgds billdango icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft

i think its time for the BILLDANGO BACK GARDEN VIDJO icon_king :lol:
billdango

Post by billdango »

Thats a great idea?

I was thinking of that a few weeks ago but I will have to borrow a camcorder from someone.

I will of coarse post it on the forum and possibly put it on U TUBE.

Good thinking cordyman icon_thumleft

billdango. :D :D :D :D
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

billdango wrote:Thats a great idea?

I was thinking of that a few weeks ago but I will have to borrow a camcorder from someone.

I will of coarse post it on the forum and possibly put it on U TUBE.

Good thinking cordyman icon_thumleft

billdango. :D :D :D :D

can't wait icon_sunny icon_sunny

I hope to spot a few ferrets too :DD
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

Adrian wrote:Just noticed mine has two new flower spathes
fingers crossed,between both you and Bill, we could be seeing some uk grown ones.?? possibly adapt to our climate etc??
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
pipster 12

Post by pipster 12 »

Hi I have a small palm which is doing really well in the greenhouse, be interested to know how everyone's needle palms are doing after those two atrocious winters and how cold it got. Interesting that they do better in the ground

also "on trial"

I have trachycarpus manipur
T. Takil kumaon and kalamuni
T. princeps
T. princeps hybrid
T. Geminisectus

they all stay in the greenhouse until they get some size on them
billdango

Post by billdango »

pipster 12 wrote:Hi I have a small palm which is doing really well in the greenhouse, be interested to know how everyone's needle palms are doing after those two atrocious winters and how cold it got. Interesting that they do better in the ground

also "on trial"

I have trachycarpus manipur
T. Takil kumaon and kalamuni
T. princeps
T. princeps hybrid
T. Geminisectus

they all stay in the greenhouse until they get some size on them
Hi pipster,
My needle palm is still in perfect condition and has grown a bit larger since the last post.

It now has a spread of about 8 feet and a height of about 5 feet.

Its still got no protection during the last cold winters and because it is growing under some tall Trachys it is undamaged.

The coldest that I recorded in my back yard last winter was 2 nights at about -4c.

Even my Syagrus palm was mostly unprotected.

rgds billdango icon_thumleft
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

My plant looks healthy but has been planted out nearly twenty years and has grown about 2ft but never really been damaged by the weather! Very slow! The PC has some really nice healthy ones in at the moment at good prices!
pipster 12

Post by pipster 12 »

Thanks guys!-appreciate the feedback. As a palm I think its under rated-well if it loves moisture it will like Manchester-and with all those spines less likely to get stolen once planted out.

Although my Rhapidophyllum has been in the greenhouse its grown faster (in terms of number of leaves) than many of my other palms. I might put a picture on

Decided I will grow it in the greenhouse until its about 2 feet tall and put in in a sheltered part of the garden.

the palm centre have nice sized plants as do "my palm shop". My palm shop is cheap but you pay extra for the carriage costs as they are a Dutch nursery . It's definitely worth going to them if you have a bulk order.

again thanks for the feedback

phil