My 2x New Dypsis decipiens

Rod

My 2x New Dypsis decipiens

Post by Rod »

Hi all,
I just had delivered my 2x new Dypsis decipiens today, and i have already planted one in the ground. I already had a spot picked out. I will plant the other one this weekend.
These are fairly large plants the one in the ground is 1.1m high x 1.7m wide. The one in the pot is 1.2m high by 1.3m wide at the crown.
This Palm is Untested in Christchurch ( Someone has to do it )
So we will see if it tolerates my climate.
Attachments
IMG_0739_EDIT.jpg
IMG_0741_EDIT.jpg
IMG_0740_EDIT.jpg
IMG_0743_EDIT.jpg
Paul Saunders

Re: My 2x New Dypsis decipiens

Post by Paul Saunders »

Hi Rod,
Good luck with the Dypsis! I have read on one of your previous posts that you can't grow Nikaus. My parents had one unprotected in Avonside which did well. As you say, just a few kms can make a big difference, Sumner has some great CIPDs and I suspect in some unseen gardens there are other great palms to be seen! Not sure how the Nikau is after the snow/cold spell you had last winter as they moved house just before the February quake. Good job to as their old house is in the red zone!
Paul.
Rod

Post by Rod »

Paul Saunders wrote:Hi Rod,
Good luck with the Dypsis! I have read on one of your previous posts that you can't grow Nikaus. My parents had one unprotected in Avonside which did well. As you say, just a few kms can make a big difference, Sumner has some great CIPDs and I suspect in some unseen gardens there are other great palms to be seen! Not sure how the Nikau is after the snow/cold spell you had last winter as they moved house just before the February quake. Good job to as their old house is in the red zone!
Paul.
Hi Paul - I have tried and tried Nikaus, only to lose them by temps below -4°c, this seems to be the limit in my area. It was the snow this year that finished it.
You have to be in a micro-climate in Christchurch, or be near the sea. Or up on the hills in Christchurch.
The reason i am trying the Dypsis decipiens, is because i wanted a palm that looks like a Nikau, but in a much more tougher plant.
The leaves on them feel as tough as my Butia capitata. Its probably the most cold hardy crown shafted palm in the world. ( That we know of )
You see Christchurch is a medium-dry climate, that is more to the liking of the Dypsis.
The Dypsis also tolerates full sun when young very well, unlike the Nikau which prefers shade or filtered light.
The Dypsis does not need high humidity air to thrive ( The Nikau performs better with good humidity levels )
The Dypsis tolerates about 2°c to 3°c more frost than the Nikau
Christchurchs climate is much better suited to the Dypsis decipiens, than the Nikau.

Where did your parents move to ?
By the way, I live in Addington - Spreydon area
Last edited by Rod on Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

Not a palm I've really heard of. Looks fantastic and by the sounds of it, reasonably cold tolerant.

I wonder if anyone on the coast of England has tried this palm in a sheltered spot?

icon_scratch
Paul Saunders

Post by Paul Saunders »

They moved to Woolston. I don't know if you can view my profile to get my email address. If so email me and I will reply with more detail. Once lived on Roker street in Spreydon. I don't have access to PM facility yet.
Paul
Paul Saunders

Post by Paul Saunders »

I did try Dypsis decipiens about 10 years ago, got it to a size a bit smaller than in Rod's pictures in the greenhouse. I planted it out against a south facing wall but it didn't last long into the winter (an average one). I had fallen into the trap that many UK palm growers do, I had read many reports that D. decipiens can regularly take -7 to -8 C with little or no damage. This may well be the case in areas where it warms up during the day to greater than say 11 or 12 degrees or more after the frost and where the sun altitude in winter is high enough to give a decent intensity of radiation. At 43.5 degrees ChCh has this. Even the south coast of the UK has spells in most winters where it will be in the low single figures duirng the day for many days on end. This, combined with the damp and some frost is what either kills off or damages the plant so much that it can not recover the following summer. If the south coast had summers that averaged 25 C or more for 4 months or so then these marginal palms may well be able to recover from winter set backs.

Having said that it's still fun trying, in the hope of finding that mutant plant that will just get through!

Paul.
Rod

Post by Rod »

Paul Saunders wrote:I did try Dypsis decipiens about 10 years ago, got it to a size a bit smaller than in Rod's pictures in the greenhouse. I planted it out against a south facing wall but it didn't last long into the winter (an average one). I had fallen into the trap that many UK palm growers do, I had read many reports that D. decipiens can regularly take -7 to -8 C with little or no damage. This may well be the case in areas where it warms up during the day to greater than say 11 or 12 degrees or more after the frost and where the sun altitude in winter is high enough to give a decent intensity of radiation. At 43.5 degrees ChCh has this. Even the south coast of the UK has spells in most winters where it will be in the low single figures duirng the day for many days on end. This, combined with the damp and some frost is what either kills off or damages the plant so much that it can not recover the following summer. If the south coast had summers that averaged 25 C or more for 4 months or so then these marginal palms may well be able to recover from winter set backs.

Having said that it's still fun trying, in the hope of finding that mutant plant that will just get through!

Paul.
Hi Paul - were you living in Blaxton, when you planted out your Dypsis decipiens?
Paul Saunders

Post by Paul Saunders »

Yes, at 53.29 north....have a look and see where 53.29 south is...its way south of Invercargill!! Amazing what the Gulf stream does!
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

I tried Dypsis decipiens here in the past & it came through the winters without a mark, but refused to grow in our relatively cool summers... :roll:
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

Nathan wrote:I tried Dypsis decipiens here in the past & it came through the winters without a mark, but refused to grow in our relatively cool summers... :roll:
What happened to it? Did it just die or is it still there doing nothing much?
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

MikeC wrote:
Nathan wrote:I tried Dypsis decipiens here in the past & it came through the winters without a mark, but refused to grow in our relatively cool summers... :roll:
What happened to it? Did it just die or is it still there doing nothing much?
It eventually died, a very slow & lingering death. Same has happened with Syagrus romanzoffiana's here in the past, no problem overwintering them, but summers are just too cool in the UK for any decent growth.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

I have one thats about 6 or 7 years old now, its lived most of its life in the greenhouse, last winter defoliated the poor thing but its coming back albeit slowly.
Its said that you need to keep the heel dry as smaller palms as they tend to rot easily.
Rod

Post by Rod »

Here's the second one, I have just planted out in its permanent position
Attachments
IMG_0745-EDIT.jpg
IMG_0746-EDIT.jpg
IMG_0751-EDIT.jpg
Rod

Post by Rod »

Here's the difference of what Dypsis decipiens looks like growing in a dry Californian climate vs a Wet Tropical climate.
Attachments
DYPSIS DECIPIENS - Dry Californian Climate vs Wet Tropical Climate.jpg
kata

Post by kata »

Don't they look awesome stripped Rod?

Your new palm is a beauty.

icon_cheers