Chamaedorea radicalis

Delboy

Chamaedorea radicalis

Post by Delboy »

Just wondered how these coped with the past few winters?
Adrian

Re: Chamaedorea radicalis

Post by Adrian »

Pretty hardy palms, mine do well with over head cover from larger palms.
I have had mine for quite a long time now.
targui

Post by targui »

Chamaedorea Radicalis in my experience of growing most Chamaedorea species is
that they are by far the hardiest of the genus. They grow best in shade to semi shade,
will grow in full sun but do not look their best and in fact look rather scruffy in a sunny
garden spot. They appreciate small applications of magnesium from time to time.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

i had a beauty with a foot of trunk from Gary Watton with a debatable sucker,(still believe it grew from the main underground trunky bit) i foolishly left it to its own devices last two winters,came back from being badly damaged then completely rotted out last winter icon_thumbdown
however,Richard Booth gave me a nice one he had grown from seed,its a corker of a young plant and flowered this year,survived -5 to -6 in the un heated conservatory no probs at all
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

So do you reckon planting one in the ground in the midlands is unrealistic?
I guess I could pot plant it, then overwinter in my greenhouse or shed altho both are unheated but at least dry.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I watered my small potted one this summer too much which rotted most of the roots. It's fine now after repotting.
Rod

Post by Rod »

They have proven to be stem hardy to -11.0°c
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

-5C absolutely and categorically destroyed mine in 2009 (it was completely see-through) - but then I do have the worst luck with palms :roll:

I've had more luck with Chamaedorea elegans.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

in a sheltered spot close to the house would be good,still a risk though but winters like we are having would be no problem for one.Daves got one in the front of his place that was doing well,setting seed aswell i believe
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

I've got both the stemless* and so-called trunking forms and if you set them side by side you would be forgiven for thinking that they were entirely different species. The shorter growing form has quite broad, very leathery leaflets, while the other is altogether more elegant with longer, slender pinnae that are thinner textured and more prone to frost damage. In this country, the stemless form appears to be the most freely available and down here at least, it is bone hardy and almost indestructible. I'm far less confident about the other form and because I only have one young plant that might be difficult to replace, I've yet to risk planting it out.

Despite having lost my more tender Chamaedoreas over the past couple of winters, I'm all set to start again. I just wish that they were freely available at any other than seedling size and although I've tracked down a few recently, I'm still hunting for a decent plant of C. costaricana. To my mind, Chamaedoreas are amongst the most elegant and attractive of all small palms and few can create such a luxuriant, 'jungly' effect. Their relatively small stature means that even sizeable specimens can be easily protected or brought in under cover. Of course I failed to do either and paid the price :roll:

*'Stemless' is a bit misleading, because even this type will eventually develop a short trunk. However, for many years it slowly 'creeps' along the ground, producing a gnarled stocky rhizome at or just below soil level.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

I have never seen the stemless one, I didnt know it existed either.
Rod

Post by Rod »

DaveP wrote:I've got both the stemless* and so-called trunking forms and if you set them side by side you would be forgiven for thinking that they were entirely different species. The shorter growing form has quite broad, very leathery leaflets, while the other is altogether more elegant with longer, slender pinnae that are thinner textured and more prone to frost damage. In this country, the stemless form appears to be the most freely available and down here at least, it is bone hardy and almost indestructible. I'm far less confident about the other form and because I only have one young plant that might be difficult to replace, I've yet to risk planting it out.

Despite having lost my more tender Chamaedoreas over the past couple of winters, I'm all set to start again. I just wish that they were freely available at any other than seedling size and although I've tracked down a few recently, I'm still hunting for a decent plant of C. costaricana. To my mind, Chamaedoreas are amongst the most elegant and attractive of all small palms and few can create such a luxuriant, 'jungly' effect. Their relatively small stature means that even sizeable specimens can be easily protected or brought in under cover. Of course I failed to do either and paid the price :roll:

*'Stemless' is a bit misleading, because even this type will eventually develop a short trunk. However, for many years it slowly 'creeps' along the ground, producing a gnarled stocky rhizome at or just below soil level.
You can easily plant out your C. radicalis in Torquay.
I know someone in Loughborough in the mid-lands with a few C. radicalis growing out in the garden and have been for years. His went through -11°c ( defoliated of course ) followed by 2-weeks below 0°c, and are now growing back nicely. ( All survived )
MonkeyDavid

Post by MonkeyDavid »

At what temp can you expect damage or defoliation without protection?
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Should be ok to -4 or -5c if with good overhead cover, no idea if out in the open.
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

Rod wrote: You can easily plant out your C. radicalis in Torquay.
Yes I know, I've had several growing here for 12 -13 years. They are bone hardy here and set fruit almost every autumn. The so-called 'trunking form' however, is not quite so hardy and since I've only got 1 of these, I'm letting it get to a reasonable size before I plant it out.