purple palm

Post by call »

while looking online i found this purple palm
its called Latania longtrariodes
is it hardy and where can i get it :?:
Adrian

Re: purple palm

Post by Adrian »

No not at all hardy and not easy to grow....thats why you dont see them too often :wink:
call

Post by call »

ill give it a miss then :(
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Looks nothing like mine, Callum. The picture looks more like Bismarkia.

Latan palms are fabulous plants that show their distinctive colours when young. Latania Lontaroides shows its red on the petiole and round the spine and edges of the leaves. The yellow Latan (L. verschaffeltii) and the blue Latan (L. loddigesii) show off their colour as young plants too. With age the colouration disappears and they begin to look like each other.

As Ade says they're not easy and pretty rare. That said, if you want to grow one as a houseplant, they need a sunny window, warmth and humidity. I have some pics of my young plant on file but while my son is piling up his downloads I can't get an attachment up :?

Canarius carry these and you might get a reasonably priced one when they start up in the Spring.
kata

Post by kata »

I Imput 'Bismark' and came up not with Call's Image but this beauty..

I accidently missed out the ia c/p somehow :lol: :lol: but I am glad I did now I love this palm.
Attachments
bismark.gif
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Kate, get yourself over to Miami for a holiday and take a trip to Coral Gables and find Fairchild Tropical Botanic Gardens and see the Bizzies by the lake, in fact there are pictures on my webshots (link under post) , there are two albums with Bismarkia in them, Palms of Miami and Palms of Fairchild TBG.
kata

Post by kata »

I'll take a look, at your album... :lol:

They're lovely palms Ade.

icon_cheers icon_cheers
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Plenty of these in the Canary Islands, but the ones planted on the roundabouts are a dangerous distraction.......and you will find red, blue and yellow Latans :D