DYPSIS DECIPIENS - Winter protection

Nathan

Re: DYPSIS DECIPIENS - Winter protection

Post by Nathan »

Nice work Rod icon_thumleft

I'd like to try a D. decipiens again one day, if I could find a decent sized specimen...
Rod

Post by Rod »

JBALLY wrote:I have never posted any photos on here but since I got an iphone a couple of weeks ago I can now post some pictures and they will not come out as blurred silhouettes. And as soon as the weather gets a bit better I will be starting a new change around and planting scheme on my front garden so will give me the perfect opportunity to both plant some of my hardier palms and do a blog about the transformation.
Great you have an IPHONE.
I used to upload photos on the forum from my SLR camera, but since i bought my Samsung Galaxy SIII Mini - I just use this instead, as its much easier.
Cant wait for the photos.
Rod

Post by Rod »

Nathan wrote:Nice work Rod icon_thumleft

I'd like to try a D. decipiens again one day, if I could find a decent sized specimen...
Thanks Nathan - I think you should try again. I don't think your summers are too cold. In fact during your hottest month, your overnight lows are warmer than mine by around 2°c.
In my garden My Dypsis ( so far ) is growing quicker than my Syagrus romanzoffiana. In fact it started showing visible top growth in spring when daytime temps reached around 15°c to 16°c.

How big was the one you lost ?

Here's an update taken today of the new leaf opening - slowly.

Nathan

Post by Nathan »

The one I had was really small, just a seedling but that was all that was available back then. It was never that healthy either to be honest, but it just refused to grow, even when kept indoors! :?
Rod

Post by Rod »

UPDATE; June 1, 2013 ( 1-year, 6-months in the ground ) - About to go through second Winter.

Second spear coming, since planted ( hoping this one will grow quicker than the first )