Long Chammie stems

Tom and Shell

Long Chammie stems

Post by Tom and Shell »

Hi Everyone, looking at others on here, our Chammie seems to have extra long stems? what would cause this? will they become smaller over time, i was thinking that it may have been fighting for light causing them to stretch? we have had it about 2 months and it seems to have settled in well. Thanks T&S
Attachments
DSC03484.jpg
jezza

Re: Long Chammie stems

Post by jezza »

I have one the same as yours. Bought it april '11. It's now pushing out shorter fronds.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

I belive the stems are longer due to it been forced to grow probably from been in a condenced greenhouse\palm farm and its looking for light.....mine is the same. I think over the future it will grow more naturally.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
jezza

Post by jezza »

I bought my first chammy from focus diy in 2009, it's now 10 inches shorter than it was 3 years ago.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Hi T&S, yes it's definitely stretched while competing for light but it won't do it any harm. Even in high winds Chammies are fairly tolerant plants.

You'll find the fronds get larger and the stems get shorter as they push out new growth.

I think it suits being a bit leggy though, gives that area a good jungly feel.

;)
Tom and Shell

Post by Tom and Shell »

Thanks for the info guys, much appriciated icon_salut