Parajubaea Torallyi ssp Torallyi.

jungle jas

Parajubaea Torallyi ssp Torallyi.

Post by jungle jas »

Hi, any one growing one of these outside? If so how`s it doing, any tips. icon_thumright
Nathan

Re: Parajubaea Torallyi ssp Torallyi.

Post by Nathan »

I have a couple, a seedling & a bigger one. Both have come through the last couple of winters here without damage, but they don't grow very fast. Full sun & well drained soil seems to suit them best, a raised bed in a sheltered south facing position is where I have mine. They are only hardy to around -5C or so though, maybe a little lower when bigger...
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

I have a double plant which is probably growing in similar conditions to Nathan's. I protected it during the freeze in February and it came though unmarked.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Nathan wrote:I have a couple, a seedling & a bigger one. Both have come through the last couple of winters here without damage, but they don't grow very fast. Full sun & well drained soil seems to suit them best, a raised bed in a sheltered south facing position is where I have mine. They are only hardy to around -5C or so though, maybe a little lower when bigger...
Thank you both for your comments. You supprise me Nathan, I thought they were fast growers! How many leaves are you getting a year? icon_thumright
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

They are fast growers, in places with hot summers! I only generally get about 2 or 3 leaves a year on mine...
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Nathan wrote:They are fast growers, in places with hot summers! I only generally get about 2 or 3 leaves a year on mine...
icon_thumright icon_thumright icon_thumright
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

It seems that Nathan's and mine are twins, Jas. I only got two leaves per year when it was potted. One extra when I planted it out last year.
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Must admit, mine is struggling to put on any growth, it has new fronds emerging, but they just don't seem to be doing much, I nearly lost it a couple of winters ago, during that 'bad' one, so I won't be risking it permanently outside for a good few years.
Rod

Post by Rod »

Hi Jungle Jas ~ I have a small one just over 1m tall, only been in the ground 3-months. But i will let you know how fast it grows once it is established, i do not have hot summers either.
Rod

Post by Rod »

Rod wrote:Hi Jungle Jas ~ I have a small one just over 1m tall, only been in the ground 3-months. But i will let you know how fast it grows once it is established, i do not have hot summers either.
Hi Junglejas - 14-months later update.

O.k it has been through its first summer here and it put out 3-leaves.
I am hoping for 4-leaves this summer, as it is growing better now than it was a year ago.
TroyDonovan

Post by TroyDonovan »

Hi Jas
I have parajubaea torallyi in my from lawn it was planted out as a 3 strap seedling in April 2010 . It is now over 1m tall and fully pinnate making nearly 5 fronds a year it grows slower but rather well through my winters down here .
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Mine have grown faster this year due to the hot summer, they are currently pushing out their 4th leaves of the year icon_thumleft
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Thanks for the updates one and all, obviously not one of the fastest growers in the world but at least they are alive! I suppose it doesn't matter if its a slow grower as long as the leaves are durable and don't go tatty. icon_thumright
Rod

Post by Rod »

UPDATE:
Hi Jas,
Mine is already pushing out its third leaf this year so far.

I would not consider this Palm SLOW at all - Queen Palms are slower than these in my climate, Dypsis decipiens is slower, My Brahea armata & Brahea edulis are slower / my Butia odorata is slower as well as my Sabal palmetto which is the slowest of them all. In fact the only Palms in my garden that are faster, are my Washingtonia robusta's & my Trachycarpus martianus.
Rod

Post by Rod »

Nathan wrote:Mine have grown faster this year due to the hot summer, they are currently pushing out their 4th leaves of the year icon_thumleft
Hi Nathan - would like to see a photo update on your Parajubaea's now that they are growing well.