Parajubaea Torallyi ssp Torallyi.

Nigel

Re: Parajubaea Torallyi ssp Torallyi.

Post by Nigel »

All palms are slow at stage where they put out strap leaves. When they start to put out mature leaves they start to speed up a bit. This is a Jubaeaesque palm and it is going to get ENORMOUS , at which point it would grow pretty quickly even in our climate.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Rod wrote:
Nathan wrote:Mine have grown faster this year due to the hot summer, they are currently pushing out their 4th leaves of the year icon_thumleft
Hi Nathan - would like to see a photo update on your Parajubaea's now that they are growing well.
Here are a couple of photo's taken at the end of November just before I moved out to Malta icon_thumright
Attachments
Portsmouth-20131129-01005.jpg
Portsmouth-20131129-01009.jpg
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Nice palm. Have you left it in the UK, or taken it to Malta. icon_thumright
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

I did not realise you had moved Nathan..... icon_scratch
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

jungle jas wrote:Nice palm. Have you left it in the UK, or taken it to Malta. icon_thumright
All my palms planted in the ground I have left there, though we still own the house icon_thumright
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

The Codfather wrote:I did not realise you had moved Nathan..... icon_scratch
Yes moved at start of December, I did mention it on here a couple of times...
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Taking palms from the UK to Malta would be like carrying coals to Newcastle.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

otorongo wrote:Taking palms from the UK to Malta would be like carrying coals to Newcastle.
Yes & no. There are tons of palms in Malta, but pretty much all are Washingtonia robusta & filifera, Phoenix dactylifera & canariensis, Chamaerops humilis & Syagrus romanzoffiana. You do see the odd other type about, such as Phoenix roebelinii, Sabal's, Livistona chinensis or Howea forsteriana, but for the most part it's Washies & date palms...

So I have actually brought a few palms out with me, which are rare out here, such as Jubutyagrus, Butyagrus, Archontophoenix cunninghamiana, Rhopalostylis bauerii & my seed grown Cocos nucifera icon_thumright
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Even if they're rare in Malta, they should grow much quicker down there!
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Yes hopefully! icon_thumright
Rod

Post by Rod »

Nathan wrote:
Rod wrote:
Nathan wrote:Mine have grown faster this year due to the hot summer, they are currently pushing out their 4th leaves of the year icon_thumleft
Hi Nathan - would like to see a photo update on your Parajubaea's now that they are growing well.
Here are a couple of photo's taken at the end of November just before I moved out to Malta icon_thumright
Thanks Nathan for those photos,
Is Malta that little Island in the middle of the Mediterranean? and if so "Why on earth did you move there" ( Just curious )
Rod

Post by Rod »

Nathan wrote:
otorongo wrote:Taking palms from the UK to Malta would be like carrying coals to Newcastle.
Yes & no. There are tons of palms in Malta, but pretty much all are Washingtonia robusta & filifera, Phoenix dactylifera & canariensis, Chamaerops humilis & Syagrus romanzoffiana. You do see the odd other type about, such as Phoenix roebelinii, Sabal's, Livistona chinensis or Howea forsteriana, but for the most part it's Washies & date palms...

So I have actually brought a few palms out with me, which are rare out here, such as Jubutyagrus, Butyagrus, Archontophoenix cunninghamiana, Rhopalostylis bauerii & my seed grown Cocos nucifera icon_thumright

Awesome Nathan - I would say you are hot enough to grow Cocos Nucifera ???? - Are there any growing in Malta ?

MALTA
Latitude: 35°53'N
Hottest month: 32°c / 23°c
Coldest month: 16°c / 10°c

They grow fine on the Gold coast in Australia
GOLD COAST
Latitude: 28°1'S
Hottest month: 28°c / 21°c
Coldest month: 20°c / 11°c
flounder

Post by flounder »

So then Nathan, you're finally in the land of the endless wind and pot holes! It's about time for a picture show icon_thumleft
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Rod wrote: Thanks Nathan for those photos,
Is Malta that little Island in the middle of the Mediterranean? and if so "Why on earth did you move there" ( Just curious )
Yes, tiny little island south of Sicily... We moved here as my partner is half Maltese & has lots of family here, we were both fed up of the UK (not just the weather) so decided to try out living here. The bonus being that it has one of the warmest climates in Europe, has very close ties to the UK still (is still part of the Commonwealth despite being a republic) & English is the second offical language, plus it is just under 3 hours flight the UK icon_thumright
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Rod wrote:Awesome Nathan - I would say you are hot enough to grow Cocos Nucifera ???? - Are there any growing in Malta ?

MALTA
Latitude: 35°53'N
Hottest month: 32°c / 23°c
Coldest month: 16°c / 10°c

They grow fine on the Gold coast in Australia
GOLD COAST
Latitude: 28°1'S
Hottest month: 28°c / 21°c
Coldest month: 20°c / 11°c
The Coconut is just an experiment really & I only brought it with me as I grew it myself. I don't know of any growing here but I believe there used to be one growing at the Botanical Garden at Palermo on Sicily. The things that do grow in Malta are quite surprising though, with many truly tropical plants/trees growing here just fine, so you never know...