Why does this Waggy look like this!?

greendragon

Re: Why does this Waggy look like this!?

Post by greendragon » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:25 pm

It will only take 20 years to get that size from a 2ft trunk.

Bob

Re: Why does this Waggy look like this!?

Post by Bob » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:32 pm

greendragon wrote:It will only take 20 years to get that size from a 2ft trunk.
I'm 56 :lol:

greendragon

Re: Why does this Waggy look like this!?

Post by greendragon » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:31 pm

You could live to 100 then you will have a telephone pole with miniscule leaves barely visible up in the sky lol.

jungle jas

Re: Why does this Waggy look like this!?

Post by jungle jas » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:44 pm

Bob wrote:
greendragon wrote:It will only take 20 years to get that size from a 2ft trunk.
I'm 56 :lol:
I`m even older! :lol: Twenty years Greendragon!!!!!!!!! Dream on. icon_thumright Dont wast your waggie on your relations, Give it an old age pensioner! Ill have it :lol: icon_thumright

Bob

Re: Why does this Waggy look like this!?

Post by Bob » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:49 pm

Well said!! :mrgreen:

Kerinsian

Re: Why does this Waggy look like this!?

Post by Kerinsian » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:38 pm

jungle jas wrote: I`m even older! :lol: Twenty years Greendragon!!!!!!!!! Dream on. icon_thumright Dont wast your waggie on your relations, Give it an old age pensioner! Ill have it :lol: icon_thumright
I'd have it too if it was possible! icon_thumright
Plus I'm younger and therefore able to enjoy it for longer :lol:

Rob S

Re: Why does this Waggy look like this!?

Post by Rob S » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:43 pm

None of the Trachycarpus at Kew get damaged by cold winters, the plant in the picture is extremely old and has indeed been over trimmed, however it is true that very tall old Waggies can look a little unsymetrical with just a small head of leaves!

greendragon

Re: Why does this Waggy look like this!?

Post by greendragon » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:34 pm

Rob S wrote:None of the Trachycarpus at Kew get damaged by cold winters, the plant in the picture is extremely old and has indeed been over trimmed, however it is true that very tall old Waggies can look a little unsymetrical with just a small head of leaves!
Then why was there a rotting Trachycarpus stump next to the Waggie in the picture?

You say that the trachies in kew were not damaged but I was there recently and I know that they along with the Chamaerops have been battered.

Bob

Re: Why does this Waggy look like this!?

Post by Bob » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:43 pm

Talking of battered Chamaerops, here's one I snapped at RHS Rosemoor on Saturday.

Image

grub

Re: Why does this Waggy look like this!?

Post by grub » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:06 pm

Rob S wrote:None of the Trachycarpus at Kew get damaged by cold winters, the plant in the picture is extremely old and has indeed been over trimmed, however it is true that very tall old Waggies can look a little unsymetrical with just a small head of leaves!
You're wasting your time Rob, I tried telling 'em :roll: .

greendragon

Re: Why does this Waggy look like this!?

Post by greendragon » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:06 pm

grub wrote:
Rob S wrote:None of the Trachycarpus at Kew get damaged by cold winters, the plant in the picture is extremely old and has indeed been over trimmed, however it is true that very tall old Waggies can look a little unsymetrical with just a small head of leaves!
You're wasting your time Rob, I tried telling 'em :roll: .
There was a rotten Trachycarpus stump next to the original Waggie pictured in this thread, so I think the people were correct who said that the original palm was damaged and as a result produced stunted leaves. Either Trachycarpus Wagnerianus are not as hardy as people think or Kew don't look after them properly.


Look here at undamaged Waggies, the leaves are more as you would expect, there are not just more of them, the ones that are there are bigger.

Source: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/21359/

Image

Source: http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/2011/0 ... c56cf3.jpg

Image
Last edited by greendragon on Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Yorkshire Kris
Posts: 10160
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:59 am
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: Why does this Waggy look like this!?

Post by Yorkshire Kris » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:08 pm

Unauthorised use prohibited. :ahhh!: :lol:

Rob S

Re: Why does this Waggy look like this!?

Post by Rob S » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:47 pm

I presume the Waggy and stump you refer to are the ones situated just inside the Main gate at Kew, that is on the semi-circle at Kew Green? Can you confirm this? The only difference i can see between your original pic and the ones you use for reference is that the as i said before the former has been overtrimmed,the second pic have been untrimmed for many years forming a skirt of dead leaves and the third somewhere in between! There is no question that Waggies are not hardy at Kew or in most of the British Isles and the only maintenance that Kew may occasionally perform on any of their Trachycarpus's is removal of old leaves which i would say may have been overzealous on this occasion!

greendragon

Re: Why does this Waggy look like this!?

Post by greendragon » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:23 pm

The rotten stump and the palm pictured were next to where there are steps leading down to the avenue of cherry trees and benches.

Nigel

Re: Why does this Waggy look like this!?

Post by Nigel » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:18 am

That waggie is not so old, all the Kew waggies originated from seed sourced by peter jenkins around 30 years ago. That particular one was transplanted around 5 years back and is still recovering, it needed a good dose of palmbooster :lol:
I suspect it is one of the ones that was growing in the doorway to the palmhouse that were inexplicably dug up and moved.

Post Reply