In this country? Washingtonia

Rob S

Re: In this country? Washingtonia

Post by Rob S »

Yes there are a lot of large Yucca Eliphantipes in West London, this is one of the larger ones;
Attachments
DSCN0408.JPG
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

This Washingtonia is about a 10 minute walk away from my house by the sea on the Thames Estuary, undamaged the last few winters and no protection, South facing;
Attachments
DSCN0343.JPG
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

Think there are 2 small plants each side of trunk!
Think there are 2 small plants each side of trunk!
Axel

Post by Axel »

Very nice specimen Rob, it could have been taken somewhere in Spain. It's especially nice to see it having so many green fronds.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

i planted a big one out here but later found my winter water table was too high,although winter damaged,i think that on its own might not have killed it.sat in a sump of water that i unknowingly created,certainly finished it off rotting all the roots
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Si

Re: On the edge of extinction - in this country? Washingtoni

Post by Si »

Nathan wrote:
Si wrote:
Conifers wrote:TROBI records a W. filifera 10m tall at Tresco in 1984; I'd presume that's gone now from the lack of more recent measurements.
If there was one at Tresco over 30 feet tall in 1984, it would be about 50 feet by now :shock: (nearly 30 years ago)
so that must be gone, else there would be thousands of pics of it, so, it must have died, and that proves my point, at some stage they die in a winter.
Don't forget IF you ever see them they're up against walls, buildings, and when they get tall enough (if they survive) they have to cope with the air higher up, away from the walls and umbrellas etc, wish I was wrong.
Any big ones you see are planted out are certainly from greenhouses, Dave's is pretty unique I'd wager.
Well it seems the Tresco Washingtonia is alive & well after all... Photographed here in September by Kev Spence...
So I guess they are a long term prospect in milder parts of the UK :wink:

great to see that, I'll have to get myself down to Tresco next year
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Just to put an update on mine which was rather late to get going due to below average temps until the last week in June.

Now has a good set of leaves with the severely damaged ones removed.
Attachments
2013-08-25 18-30-36 Washingtonia and me.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Dave Brown wrote:Just to put an update on mine which was rather late to get going due to below average temps until the last week in June.

It looks huge now. icon_thumleft
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:
Dave Brown wrote:Just to put an update on mine which was rather late to get going due to below average temps until the last week in June.

It looks huge now. icon_thumleft
Last year was wetter than average and it grew very well, even though it wasn't a people summer. I'll put an image from last year next to one of this year to see how much of a difference there is.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Here are pics from 2012 and 2013 to make a comparison
Attachments
2012-07-31-17-41-06 Washingtonia 2012 13.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by GREVILLE »

If most of those leaves on the 2013 pic are from this year, that must represent an impressive recovery after the very slow start to Spring, Dave.

My new one year planted filibusta only got going about a month ago. I was hoping that the slow start on this one was the formation of a healthy root system. A second big leaf is opening now so this seems to be on its way.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

GREVILLE wrote:If most of those leaves on the 2013 pic are from this year, that must represent an impressive recovery after the very slow start to Spring, Dave.

My new one year planted filibusta only got going about a month ago. I was hoping that the slow start on this one was the formation of a healthy root system. A second big leaf is opening now so this seems to be on its way.
If you look at the pic below you will see that all the leaves on the palm in April are now gone. It has grown 11 leaves this season. 4 x up to 3rd week in June and 7 in the last 9 weeks.

A year of contrasts.
Attachments
2013 Washingtonia.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Rob S »

Rob S wrote:This Washingtonia is about a 10 minute walk away from my house by the sea on the Thames Estuary, undamaged the last few winters and no protection, South facing;
This plant was suffered some heavy leaf damage last winter but i noticed a few months ago that it had a nice new green spear, however sadly the owner probably through ignorance decided it was dead and sawed half the trunk off so now all that remains is a stump! Such a shame!
Last edited by Rob S on Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

Sorry but the picture in the 'quote' didn't come out but it's about 11 posts up if you're interested! Thanks
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Blimey Dave that's some impressive growth. Mine lost all of its leaves thru condensation/rot as it was in my poly greenhouse. It's now thrown out 3 leaves and has 2 spears.
Mother in laws had no protection at all and looks mint! So no poly greenhouse for mine this year :lol: