Phoenix canariensis Hardiness Rating (Unprotected) ?

doncasterpalmguy123

Re: Phoenix canariensis Hardiness Rating (Unprotected) ?

Post by doncasterpalmguy123 »

Haha I'm scared now. I always thought they were quite a hardy palm. It was battered a bit sat year but he replaced all the damage fronds this summer. Hopefully I've got a naturally hardy strain :lol:
billdango

Post by billdango »

Most of the surviving CIDPs in Southampton are doing okay as most people now seem to tie them up to protect from thrashing gales and wet snow in the core.

The one in St denys is still tied and so far in spite of the terrible winds seems to be in perfect condition.

I would rather have weather like this then those awful north easterlies and driving snow as CIDPs are good at taking strong winds.

I hope everyones palms are getting through this okay and I do understand that most Trachies will have an awful time of it but Nothing can be done about it any way as even my plants are taking a hell of a battering but are to tall to tie up.

billdango :shock:
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Here's pics of my biggest taken 5 mins ago. It's was only ever covered for the "Narnia" 2010 winter and took -11 (ish) , no heat cables etc etc and was / has been fine. I've had it about 5yrs and it went in the ground about 2yrs ago (ish). My other is about 4ft high and gets treated the same.

fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I wouldn't leave one un protected up here.
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

Looking awesome this week, an out of date Streetview pic here;

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=egerto ... ,42.1,,0,0
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

The plant looks great.